View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
robertkennel

I was told the little six inch arms that help keep the shell secure when fully set up should be parallel with the ground when the shell height is correct. Because the six inch arms are only on the end of the shells you can only tell if the ends are at the correct height. But the shells both slope down from the center of the trailer, I guess for water run off. If your little secure arms are parallel to the ground I would look for some sloping down in the shell from the center of the trailer to the shell ends. At least you could get an idea if the shell height has changed.

I would guess the shell height has changed making the shell hang up on the trailer lower box. The torsion spring just can't over come the bind. It seems the arm securing to the torsion bar is the weakest link and easiest to correct. Just use a jack and a piece of 2 by 4 and jack under the shell.

The torsion bar may have a defect, hopefully not. They use the same support for the big shells like yours as they do for the smaller shells and I think the support design of the shell is maxed out.

I would also give Custom RV a call in Anaheim, they are knowledgeable and I'm sure would help you with some things to look for.

That's my two cents, keep us informed, good luck Jerry. Regards, Robert