View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplants View Post
..... Is it possible that the burning smell was not really with the light (maybe just its time to stop working) but instead my panel box that was making the humming noise? Has anyone else noticed a hum from their panel box? The hum was constant so I do not think it was the fan coming on to cool.
In your first post you say a 15 amp fuse blew...twice...so I am certain you had a short in the rear shell circuit (powered through the bathroom wall tilt-up switch). After the second fuse was replaced (you called it Fuse #1 15 amp) the entire rear roof circuit worked except the bedroom light. You mentioned that you saw a spark when you turned the switch but the light did not come on. All the other rear shell lights were still on. So...now I suspect a short piece of the lamp filament (a little curlyfry looking wire inside the bulb) had shorted between the filament support wires inside the bulb and that is what blew the fuse. If so, you should see a loose piece of filament inside the bad bulb and a new bulb should fix everything. The water may not have been part of the electrical problem...although, believe-it-or-not, water can short a 12 volt circuit especially if it is dirty water.

I have no experience with the sound of the early model AC to DC converters (is that what you mean by "panel box"? It's located in the hallway in the bathroom wall opposite the bathtub). The one used in my 2010 (made by WIFCO) does not hum. In your case, since you did say it was hot enough to run the A/C, the converter fan may have been on constantly especially if you were using several lights. Naturally, the humming should have stopped when you turned off the main breaker. That would stop the converter and you would be running on battery only power.

Interesting....thanks for sharing your experience.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote