View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

"Flat-spotting" was a problem when nylon tires were first introduced (I know, I'm dating myself). In more modern times, although tires can still get flat spots, they round out very quickly with a little driving.

Another possibility is that the tires have developed a tread bubble or sidewall bubble. Sometimes they just do, for no apparent reason. I seem to recall that wmtire posted about these a few months ago. In theory you can identify these by running your hands over the tread and sidewall (it is always the inner sidewall!), but I have not had very good luck doing that ... It might be worthwhile to pay your mechanic a couple bucks to put the TM up on his lift, so you and he can do a visual inspection.

My money is on unbalanced wheels/tires. It has been a relatively common problem with TMs of that age. The factory seems to be dealing with it today. I think it is unlikely to be trhe axle, but asa Scott points out, it might very well be new tire time. Your opportunity to upgrade to 15 inch tires!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote