View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquarles View Post
Bill, I believe my needs are TM-specific.
You are right. The flaps and the bag seals are TM specific. I don't know if you consider yourself "handy" or not, but I don't think many of us would drive 9 hours to have flaps and bag sealed installed.

Exact-replacement flaps are probably hard to make at home, because it is hard to sew through the thick leather-like material. I don't think we have had anyone here try to fabricate new flaps, so we probably can't offer much in the way of advice. But the flaps are pretty much the same size for all TM's, with only a couple exceptions, so if you can get the factory to respond (keep trying), you should be able to get some. The parts manual on the TM web site has some pictures (admittedly poor) showing the flap locations. This should help you figure out how to order them.

Bag seals are not terribly hard to fabricate and install, though again you have to be able to sew. There is quite a bit of information here on the forum from folks who have done it.

As pointed out earlier, the horizontal tanks can be purchased for $140 each or less (plus shipping, of course). Amazon is a great source, but no the cheapest. Google around for a better price. The pump jockey at the local propane refill station can't help you, but since you live near a city, you can look for a propane distributor - the guys with the big trucks who come around and fill the big stationary tanks. They may have horizontal tanks in stock (mine in Phoenix did, and there used to be one in Longmont), or they may be able to get them for you for a reasonable price as part of a truckload.

Unless a torsion bar has actually broken, I doubt that they need to be replaced. There is lots of info on this board about how to adjust them. You just need a big socket wrench, and a lot of patience.

All these things are annoying, and you wish you didn't have to do them. But they are manageable.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote