View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
agilitynut

Default Opinion on condition of 2720 being considered for purchase

Hi everyone. I am shopping for my first travel trailer and have decided a used TM 2720 best suits my needs. Would appreciate advice on a 2011 2720 that I am considering for purchase. I am not at all trailer-savvy, but have been trying to educate myself as much as possible in order to make a smart purchase.

The owner of this unit has patched a golf ball sized hole on the roof that occurred when a tree branch feel on the trailer. It has been filled with epoxy and I have been assured it does not leak. Is there a better way that this should have been repaired and should it be a concern for purchase? It doesn’t look pretty, but perhaps it is fine.

How often do you need to replace the battery? The battery on this unit is three years old and tires are original, so they are four years old. The bearings have not been repacked in the three years they’ve owned it, so I know that is needed. I’m trying to factor in any expenses that I may incur over the next year.

I made the trip to look at it a couple weeks ago and asked that they leave it closed so we could set it up while there. We ran the AC, hooked it up to a water hose and ran water through the sink faucet, turned on all the lights, rolled out the awning (which does have a tape-repaired rip from the door hitting it, as well as a loose corner on the outer edge), and looked in all the compartments and storage areas. There were several small dings on the roof, which I thought was probably hail, but they don’t recall being hailed on and believed they were just from branches and things falling over time, as they camp in it a lot during the summer. There was one trim piece with a loose edge on the front of the trailer, and a small missing piece on the side (I think it was the 8-10” piece over the support bar). One of the interior cabinets has a small piece of veneer peeled from the back that they said occurred when trying to hang it and not having it positioned right on the hooks. And the bathroom wall that raises up has a bit peeling at the bottom from catching while being raised, and they explained they did it from not being careful and showed me how to avoid that catching in the future. It’s certainly not in perfect condition, but it seems many people consider these issues to be minor in nature. Never having a TT before, I have nothing to compare it to.

The owner seemed forthcoming by pointing out everything except roof dings and missing trim while we were looking at it. They also offered info about things that were hidden from them when they bought it at one year old from Prosser RV - the door didn’t fit right, the roof vents leaked, and the shower fittings weren’t sealed correctly. They threatened to return it and the dealer ended up replacing the door for them and repaired the other two items. Owner says they have been fine since. Prosser did not provide them with the owners manual, so they don’t have one to pass on.

Based on the condition, their original asking price was not something I was willing to consider. They have since come down to $16,350. So, to those of you “in the know” – should any of the items I mentioned be a concern? Again, this would be my first travel trailer purchase, so I am trying to make sure I get a good unit for a fair price. Thank you in advance for any assistance!
agilitynut is offline   Reply With Quote