View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Latch Tip: TM Closing Difficulties

A while back, I found that I could NOT close the hold down latch (middle lower latch) when I folded down the TM in prep to head home. This surprised me because previously it had been possible to do so. Aha, you say – the fool left something on the bed or he didn’t get all the Velcro thingamabobs out of the way. Not so, after many crawl in over the couch, I determined that this was not the cause.

Later, I read here some of the responses that were made to a post on a similar problem, and read a response by Bill (I think) in which he asked if one end was “riding up” and causing the problem.

I was not sure how that could happen. Then, as I was walking around the TM while it was closed , I thought to check the draw latches (the latch at each lower corner that are latched down as the TM is folded) to see if all four were equally tight.

Eureka! One of the rear latches (it has a bolt and nut on the inside of the latch) was so tight that the latch was actually very difficult to open. I then loosened all the corner draw latches (the nuts and bolts on the inside of each) and then re-tightened all to about equal snugness using small turns on the bolts in sort of tire lug tightening fashion.

The hold down latch now shuts easily for me with just a step in the stirrup.