View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
markandanne

I don't know anything about the winterization questions since my TM is new, but the propane hot water heater has worked flawlessly on my TM this trip (at 2300 miles and counting) and in a previous weekend break-in camping trip. It has a piezo ignitor, so I wouldn't look for a pilot light, but I could be wrong. I would think it would either be on full blast or completely off, just like my old house hot water heater with electric ignition. I did have to push the lockout reset buttons at one stop, which probably has to do with the sequence I turned on the propane (I'm not really sure what the lockout resets do unless they are looking for a gas leak like the lockouts in the 20 lb tanks). None of this is true for the oven, which has a manually lit pilot light.

Given the issue about burning the electric heating element up if you forget and plug the TM in switched to electric if the heater is drained, I'm hesitant to use electric on it because that sounds just like the kind of mistake I'm likely to make. The propane usage of the hot water heater and the oven/stove has been pretty small, so I would rather use propane than replace heating elements. I think the furnace is the serious user of propane. But that's just me...