View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I would not be concerned about it if my TV had good amintance. Take it slow on the step grades. Downshift going down so you are not riding your brakes Stop and let the TV cool down if you think its starting to overheat.

The standard of interstate highways has a limit of either 7 or maybe it's 7.5% of maximum grade.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180211-142348.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	16508

I recall there were steeper trades on the Coquihalla, but they seemed to go on forever. this is one of many that seemed to go on forever. 17km would be about 8 miles. If this was the only one, I can handle it. I put the truck into 2nd and I rarely needed the brake. I was able to keep my speed below 80 km /h (50 mph) and my brakes kept cool. If I found my speed was not staying below 80 kph then I'd brake to a more managable speed.

Climbing these grades is a greater concern. I'd find after a half mile my engine temperature would rise if I was using the A/C. I'd climb in 2nd and shut down the A/C. I don't mind a couple of short runs like that. But, IF you actually overheat on the Coquihalla, there is NO place to pull over! The shoulder you see in the picture is rare.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote