Thread: Breaking Camp
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Hmmm. Comparing apples and oranges, even if you compare to other TM owners. As mentioned, 5vers and full TTs can leave lots of stuff inside, if they park at their house, or can unload at home. So can I, or you. Or, not. So, the time to get ready to leave can be cut short if they do some of it at home.

Remove breakfast and leisure time, and we can be gone half an hour after we start to get ready. But, I leave food in the 'fridge, and deal with it at home (we park next to our house, so I can get in and out of it whenever I want).

What is there to do to get ready to leave? I assume grill, chairs, and door mat are already stowed, as anyone would have to do that, and it can be done the night before. Breakfast is done (some may not eat before leaving) and cleaned up. Start the clock:

Get clothing into the car, and get the cat in the car (DW's job); pull plug on air mattresses; empty gray tank; open low-point drains for faucets and water heater (we boondock, so not done in a campground); collapse bathroom; collapse dining table; take cabinet off wall; open all flaps;move chest of drawers onto slide; move carpet out of way of slide; stow steps; collapse shells; hook up to TV; remove chocks; open fresh tank low-point drain; do walk-around; leave. Stop the clock. About half an hour, if the DW stays in the car with the cat. Longer if she is out walking around, getting in my way.

Only compare time it takes to get a TM ready to the time it takes for a 5ver, doing the same steps. 5ver won't have to remove cabinet from wall, deflate air mattress, put chest of drawers onto slide, get carpet out of the way of the slide, collapse table, open flaps, or collapse and latch shells. Those items take about 6 or 7 minutes. To me, that is the only additional time it takes for a TM. The rest is done by all. 5ver and TT still have to empty gray tank and black tank - I have to take the cassette out of my TM when I get home, when I feel like it (I let it slosh all the way home to dissolve everything). All other time is just you being you, doing your routine. It would take almost as long in any rig you have, not just a TM, in my opinion.

Don't compare your time to others, as you don't know what they do to prep, or what they do when they get home. They may take 2 hours at home, while you may be completely done when you leave camp. If you ditch your TM, only do so after comparing what you do in your TM that you think you won't have to do in a different trailer. Most things are the same - it just depends on when you do them. Thousands of dollars to save 6 or 7 minutes? Is it worth it?
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote