View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mapquest says that San Francisco to Elko is 507.31 miles. (Pretty accurate, huh, since that last 0.01 miles represents about 50 feet?) Anyway, it really depends on exactly where you start from - maybe it is 50 miles shorter, maybe 50 miles longer. However, the initial leg out through Sacramento is not fast, as I recall. And of course you can't make it up by doing 80 once you hit Nevada - 65 mph is pretty much a practical limit for the TM.

We usually consider 600 miles with the TM to be a LONG day, and we do it only in easier parts of the country. We consider 400 miles to be an easy day. So you are kind of in the middle. My real concern is that it sounds like you are pretty new to your TM and long-distance towing with it. No matter how well it tows, and even if things go fine, those first few long tows are tiring.

The next day is another 500 miles, assuming you are going to the Fishing Bridge campground near the east entrance (the only campground in the park with hookups). And a lot of these are slower non-interstate miles.

Instead of doing it in two days/one night and beating yourselves to death, you might consider spending two nights on the road and arriving at noon or so on the third day.

Unless you have a real need to get there - and are prepared to be pooped when you arrive - I kinda agree with Wayne. Take an extra day and relax.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote