View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I was doing a bit of an inspection in preparation for an 8,000-mile trip, and came across an unpleasant surprise: the gas line that feeds the oven is rubbing against the back bottom edge of the oven. As far as I can tell, the line is still in good shape, but I want to address this, and not sure yet how to do it. As far as I can tell, there is inadequate slack in the line to add a gap between the line and oven, and even if there was, it would require re-bending the line, which I think would probably be difficult to do in such a confined space. Even if I disconnected the line from the regulator under the burner covers and added an extension, I'd still have that problem.

My initial thought is to put a few layers of some abrasion resistant woven wire protector over it. Either the plastic kind (or fiberglass or whatever it is; it is black) or maybe even the steel braid that covers plumbing lines. I'm concerned that the latter may not do much as it too is harder than the plumbing lines, so it may contribute to the problem as well.

This is obviously a manufacturing defect. I'm rather disappointed, and you might want to inspect yours.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks,
Dave
The best chafe resistant material that I have found is leather....like a piece from an old belt.

It this were a sailboat with a gimbaled stove, I'd be more concerned. Both the gas pipe and the stove are rigid and chafe should be rare (as witnessed by the lack there-of now). However, now that you've found it, you won't sleep well until you protect it (at least I wouldn't)........

A piece of leather and a couple of wire ties and you're done. I used to do stuff like that on my yacht all the time.