View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jeannette -

I don't think your situation is as bad as I originally thought. I expected the insurance company to total the trailer, so the payoff will help with the repairs, even if it doesn't totally cover them. I'm assuming that you checked your homeowner's insurance as well as your TM insurance? The sad part is that California will probably require you to carry a "branded title", also called a Salvage Title. This will decrease the market value of the trailer, even if you repair it to like-new condition. Some states don't do this, but I think that California is one of the bad guys.

The fan and its cover are an easy replacement, as this is a common item on many brands of trailers. You can buy one at any RV dealer, or online. Check Amazon (of course), or RV parts places like etrailer.com, pplmotorhomes.com, dyersonline.com, or any other RV parts place that comes to mind. I'm assuming that the fan cover is the "window" you referred to in your original post?

The roof repairs should be reasonably easy (which is not the same thing as inexpensive) because the damage is in the flat area. The repair will simply be to cut out the damaged area and rivet on flat pieces of aluminum sheet as patches, one inside and one outside. You will put a slab of foam between them, and seal the outside piece (at least) to make it waterproof. The patch will show on the outside, but who cares? For the inside, look for a post from Commodor47 on this forum, whose wife, an accomplished artist, developed the formula for an exact paint match for the interior color.

The big item - and it is not huge - will be the crushed corner. When your repair guy removes the trim to open up that corner, he will find the frames of the front wall, the side wall, and the roof (the frame pieces will most likely be wood, but possibly aluminum) along with whatever is used to join them together at the corner. The joinery is not elaborate, but he will need to open up the area enough to cut out the bent/broken pieces and insert repair pieces to make a sturdy repair. Again, aluminum sheet patches may need if he can't flatten the existing pieces sufficiently.

Again, none of these repairs requires TM-specific knowledge or skills, although some advice from the factory will probably be helpful. Any competent RV repair place will be able to handle them.

Good luck - and let us know about progress. Meanwhile, cover the damaged areas to keep water out of them. I'm sure some water got in during the storm, and part of the repair will have to be to dry the inside of the walls and ceiling. Water inside the structure is a big problem, especially if the structure is wood, rather than aluminum.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote