View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I think what took place is my furnace vents are about 12 inches to the forward side of the door and with all the air movement from the fan it created a slight vacuum bringing in some of the gasses through the leaky seals around the door. Since you can not smell CO, i'm now concern how much of the CO is leaking back into the camper. I going to take a CO tester out next time and run the furnace.

Any body have this issue or any thoughts on it???
Hmmm....I'm not so sure about this theory. Even if a vacuum force were created, which I'm not seeing how that would happen exactly, there are so many leaks in the TM that I don't see how it could ever build up to create negative pressure. I suppose it could just blow in, and maybe even very small amounts could be easily detectable.

I think I would give Suburban a call and talk with tech support. Absent the gas coming in the door or window, I too am confused as to why you would be smelling propane with a sealed combustion chamber. Even if your vacuum theory is right, how do you fix it? And if that's the problem, why doesn't everyone with a blowing furnace have this problem?

Also, propane is odorless. What you are smelling is an odorant, probably mercaptan. I'm not sure if that has any relevance here, since its sole purpose is to alert you to the presence of propane, but I have read that mercaptan can be absorbed into certain materials (like tank linings, pipes, masonry, etc.), so it sometimes can be detected in the absence of propane (although I seriously doubt that here).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote