TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
porscha356

Default remodel 2720sl to remove couch and install two reclining chairs

Good Day All!

I am considering removing the couch and installing reclining chairs. Anyone done this mod? Comments or Hints?
I am also thinking of deep sixing the heater and going with a vented catalytic or possibly a Wave with a quick disconnect hose for flexibility. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks for your time.
porscha356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Others will post more cogent comments, but my first piece of advice on the reclining chairs is to remind you that they have to fit after the TM is folded down. I believe I have read that others have addressed that, so make sure you get the right ones. As far as the impact of the heater mod, I defer to more knowledgeable posters.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just that the sofa is also the top for a storage compartment so that and the heater would go away.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

II have had two wave heater. Currently have a wave 8 that I have not yet setup in the TM. Nice heaters, but not sure I would only want a wave heater. Two issues. The wave number is (wave-8) is the output BTU. Not sure 8K bu would be enough for the real cold nights. Second they don't have a fan so it might be difficult to heat the entire camper. I use my wave's; one built in to a TT and my current I used in a popup. Both I use to reduce the furnace running.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

mm that's a interesting thought ,
if you do not need the couch for the extra bed , make it the way you want it, would not know if the sides of the couch add any support to the ends. would doubt it thou.
As far as the heat, that would depend on how much cold camping you do. noticed you on the left coast. in ca. so I know nothing about your weather
heck we had 4 inches of snow other night, so my heater stays !

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
mm that's a interesting thought ,
if you do not need the couch for the extra bed , make it the way you want it, would not know if the sides of the couch add any support to the ends. would doubt it thou.
As far as the heat, that would depend on how much cold camping you do. noticed you on the left coast. in ca. so I know nothing about your weather
heck we had 4 inches of snow other night, so my heater stays !
Considering there is a dinette option which does not offer cross-support, I would wager that the couch doesn't, either. Or, rather, that the slide-out is sufficiently self-supporting that it doesn't need the couch.

Structurally, it seems like a fairly easy mod. As to the loss of the heater, only your usage would be able to speak to whether or not it will work for you. I've personally never turned on the furnace camping, only for testing purposes, so my usage would be fine with your suggestions. Others use the furnace a lot.

As to fan circulation, you could always use an endless breeze (low power 12V fan) to circulate the hot air out of the Wave, so I don't count that as an issue. I'd even wager you'd get better heat dispersal by being able to put the Wave and fan where you want it, rather than build-in to the underside of the couch.

If I did any cold weather boondocking, I'd be looking into a catalytic heater myself, but it's something that is currently on my "intellectual curiosity" list, like solar. The wife doesn't have any desire to camp without plug-ins, and the last time we camped too early and there was a sprinkle of snow on the ground, she wasn't particularly happy with the experience.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

For us the Wave-8 began to fall behind in our pop-up in the mid to high 30's. In our 31' TT, we has a smaller wave, which did a great job keeping the front warm down into the 20's. The rear bedroom was cold and fan would have worked well. But the furnace would come on once or twice an hour in the 20's.

If the area forward of the stove is open? You could install a wave heater on the side of stove using the wave wall mount installation kit. The propane would be right there. That is how I had it installed in my TT. Then as hillbillyhotel said use a 12V fan to move the air to the back of the camper.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Considering there is a dinette option which does not offer cross-support, I would wager that the couch doesn't, either. Or, rather, that the slide-out is sufficiently self-supporting that it doesn't need the couch.
Agreed, at least for models since about 2004. Before that, the slideout floor had a problem with flexing downward as you walked on it. There is an old thread on this, and the earliest solutions. TrailManor took heed, and beefed up the underfloor support.

You should remember one thing - resale. People generally buy the 2720SL specifically to get the couch. If you remove it, you may limit your scope of potential buyers. Can you do it reversibly, and put the couch and the furnace in storage?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Removing the couch would be reversible if the parts were stored. The furnace...I have no idea.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Wingedryder

Just wondering what year 2720SL you have. No expert, I think I'd think it through thoroughly - lots to consider with a TM as many structural things dependent upon one another, especially with collapsing shells, and, as mentioned, re-sale value at stake.
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote