TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
TrailMan

Default Draining water system after each use?

What exactly is the rule for draining the fresh water system between uses (the little twist valves under the trailer)? I have never done this, but a fellow trailmanor owner has said he does after every trip. Not sure why, but he says the guys at Custom RV told him to. I recall them telling me that was only necessary for winter storage or for storing for a long period of time. We take ours out and use it every month, sometimes not for a 3 month stretch at the most, so I don't see any value added to do this. And as for corrosion to the water heater heating element, wouldn't that be worse than not draining it?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Our usage is identical to yours -- usually once a month, but an occasional 2-3 month stretch at most. I do not drain the plumbing or the water heater. I used to, but then I decided I would keep the fresh water tank full as insurance in the event of an earthquake (I'm also in the LA area). We could easily survive a week in the TM without any additional provisions in such an event.

I think the sacrificial anode rod in the water heater will endure more corrosion with the tank full, but I'm willing to replace it more often to get the emergency preparedness factor.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Our usage is identical to yours -- usually once a month, but an occasional 2-3 month stretch at most. I do not drain the plumbing or the water heater. I used to, but then I decided I would keep the fresh water tank full as insurance in the event of an earthquake (I'm also in the LA area). We could easily survive a week in the TM without any additional provisions in such an event.

I think the sacrificial anode rod in the water heater will endure more corrosion with the tank full, but I'm willing to replace it more often to get the emergency preparedness factor.

Dave
That's a good idea Dave. I never thought of that. Not only for earthquake but every area of the US has some sort of natural disaster from time to time.

I usually drain mine simply to lessen the load while towing. I'll have to rethink that or at least refill the tank when I get home. I guess a lot depends on where we are traveling and how critical the load is.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Not only for earthquake but every area of the US has some sort of natural disaster from time to time.

I usually drain mine simply to lessen the load while towing. I'll have to rethink that or at least refill the tank when I get home. I guess a lot depends on where we are traveling and how critical the load is.
Terrorist attacks too -- LAX is right up the road, and is always talked about as a prime target. Hurricanes are a big deal in the southeast. I want it prepped as much as possible so I can just hook up and pull out as quickly as possible if I need to -- or preferably, live in it, as the freeways are likely to be parking lots if such a calamity were to occur.

I always tow enroute to a campsite with a full fresh water tank and full water heater, since we usually camp where there is no water.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
PopBeavers

For 3 years drained it all after each trip, usually monthly except in the winter.

Now I usually store it full with a about 2 table spoons of bleach.

I also live in earthquake country, about 3 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake.

I don't worry about the anode rod. So far it is 4 years old and still less than half consumed.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We keep ours full too, not too far from the Loma Prieta epicenter here. I usually drain it before we travel though, to keep the weight down (but not completely).

Sometimes I drain the water heater, sometimes I don't. I still can't get the anode rod out (haven't tried again because the cover is on) so I don't know what it looks like .
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I've always drained it on the way home, just for weight considerations.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I've always drained it on the way home, just for weight considerations.
I used to do that. I let it drain on the highway as I drove downt he mountain. Then I noticed that the water that dripped out of the front drain was picked up by the TM tire and the guy behind me and along side of me had to turn on his wipers, because I was sending water everywhere. I no longer do that.

My truck and TM, when full loaded weighs around 11,000 pounds. 40 gallons of water, if full, weighs about 320 pounds. I don't think the water is the cause of my poor fuel economy.

Leaving home, I am full of water. Leaving camp much of the water has moved to the holding tank, where it is dumped half way home.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Joseph

Default Let it drain . . .

I have always let the water out if it was not needed at the next campsite. This is done at the campsite and not on the road traveling. With the Marathon tires the lighter the TM the better I like it....
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
We keep ours full too, not too far from the Loma Prieta epicenter here. I usually drain it before we travel though, to keep the weight down (but not completely).

Sometimes I drain the water heater, sometimes I don't. I still can't get the anode rod out (haven't tried again because the cover is on) so I don't know what it looks like .
OK tell me just how you drain the water heater. I do drain the fresh water tank. But I can't see a valve to just drain the water heater. Or do you drain it at the two valves at the rear of he TM? Like for winter storage.