TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
flyday

Default Hitches Hitches Hitches...

How about it? I'm looking at EAZ-Lift's weight distributing hitch and Putnam's same item. Quality-S also has one that's cheaper in price. I just bought a "used" 2003 3023 and need a good hitch...
Old 04-25-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Hitches Hitches Hitches...

Flyday,

I purchased a very nice unit from Moore Truck (online) when I bought my TM last yr. Cost  $190 + $30 shipping (CA to WI).

The same one now goes for $215 + S&H. It's still a good deal. Go here to see it and order if so desired:

http://www.mooretruckaccessories.com...tribution.html

Once there, scroll down just a tad and use the radio-button for version/price. I have pulled my TM 2720SL 14,000 miles so far and the WDH has never let me down. I suggest the Deluxe Adjustable, 750 lb model.

Snap-up brackets and instructions are included. You'll need to add a 2" ball to complete set-up.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:05 AM   #3
flyday

Thanks, Denny. Seems like a fair price. I've seen similar hitches on ebay recently from several sources(not private parties) where I can save $$$ on taxes and shipping. But a WDH looks like the way to go.
Dick
Old 05-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
flyday

Weelllll....
Got my wd hitch from UPS today. [glow=red,2,300]DISAPPOINTED![/glow] I bought the Quality-S unit instead of the EAZ-Lift because it was a few bucks cheaper. Bad Move! While functional, set-up is not easy or intuitive, and the instructions just cloud the issue. If you're looking for a wd hitch, I strongly suggest the EAZ-Lift. The guy I bought our TM from had one, and the quality is better, and set-up is easier and better-explained. WTTW...
Dick
Old 05-08-2003, 01:48 AM   #5
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Weelllll....
Got my wd hitch from UPS today. [glow=red,2,300]DISAPPOINTED![/glow] I bought the Quality-S unit instead of the EAZ-Lift because it was a few bucks cheaper. Bad Move! While functional, set-up is not easy or intuitive, and the instructions just cloud the issue. If you're looking for a wd hitch, I strongly suggest the EAZ-Lift. The guy I bought our TM from had one, and the quality is better, and set-up is easier and better-explained. WTTW...
Dick
Dick,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the WDH.  I didn't read your first post soon enough, sorry.  
I have the EAZ-Lift 1000, and I could not be happier with it! Not only is it easy to hook up, it doesn't groan like WDHitches are prone to do!

I have found that sometimes spending a little extra now, can save a LOT down the road...but you knew that!

There's always ebay I guess..

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:09 AM   #6
flyday

Thx for commiserating, Larry. Trouble is, I got the thing on ebay! I had just missed an EAZ-Lift like yours for Buy-It-Now price of $179.99. Nobody bought it, so I waited a week for it to reappear before getting what I got. Guess what? The magic time-frame is a week plus one day, 'cause it's back on there!
Oh,well, at least I got a Prodigy for $79.99.
Dick
Old 05-08-2003, 04:29 AM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Thx for commiserating, Larry. Trouble is, I got the thing on ebay! I had just missed an EAZ-Lift like yours for Buy-It-Now price of $179.99. Nobody bought it, so I waited a week for it to reappear before getting what I got. Guess what? The magic time-frame is a week plus one day, 'cause it's back on there!
Oh,well, at least I got a Prodigy for $79.99.
Dick

Dick,

One other thing to remember with ebay is to send the seller an email (even if the auction closes), especially if the thing doesn't sell!  I have asked sellers to re-list and have had them offer it for the B-I-N price without going through ebay.  I don't prefer this method, only because you lose the ebay protection, but it is OK to ask them to re-list so you can buy it, but never wait to see if it will show up again, especially if it's something you want! Just my .02.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:10 AM   #8
flyday

Right again, Larry-
I've done that before and have been able to get the item either relisted or bought outright. Brain must be on vacation someplace....anyone in need of a slightly out-of-the box wd hitch......???
Dick
Old 07-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
flyday

Hey all-
We're in the final stages of prepping for our annual vacation trek from MS to NM and I discovered/ figured out that my wdh isn't bolted together correctly.

The directions that came with the Quality- S version were vague, and I can't get the truck bumpers to come down the same amount. I even tried using the EAZ-LIFT directions but they're different enough that I couldn't make them work.

How about it, anyone got a good generic version of how to assemble the hitch end? >

Dick
Old 07-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Hey all-
We're in the final stages of prepping for our annual vacation trek from MS to NM and I discovered/ figured out that my wdh isn't bolted together correctly.
I'm not sure what you mean by "bolted together correctly". There is usually only one way to bolt it together. I have no experience with your hitch, but usually the only "bolting" adjustment is to set the unloaded ball height. To accomplish this, I think the drill is
1. Set your tow vehicle and trailer together, but unhitched, on a level surface
2. Using the tongue jack, level the trailer fore-and-aft.
3. Adjust the tow vehicle's hitch up or down until the ball would mate perfectly with the trailer's coupler if the trailer had no tongue weight.
4. Next and separate operation - drop the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball, and latch it down. Adjust the springbar chain setting to obtain equal drop on the front and rear bumper of the tow vehicle - or slightly less drop on the front.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote