TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Default Started my tire blowout cage for plumbing

I started making my tire blowout cage to keep my plumbing liquid tight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire blowout cage 001.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	13813   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire blowout cage 002.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	989.2 KB
ID:	13814   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire blowout cage 003.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	13815   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire blowout cage 004.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	813.0 KB
ID:	13816   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire blowout cage 005.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	916.2 KB
ID:	13817  

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Craigrrr...

That looks very stout and when you get it finished it will do the job nicely. I like the perforated steel on the bottom. I wish I would have done that but I would use bolts instead just in case I would have to change out the skin of the cage due to damage. The skin is what takes the brunt of the force...however yours looks like you could drive a tank across it! In the battle of the "Flapping Tread" I think you'll win!!!
Good Work and keep it up
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Thanks Tom, I was going for "battle ready" Lol I am also going to put some bolts in too. Over kill but better to be over than under I suppose.

I hope I never have to try it out. But we are going to do a 4 k trip in September and I need my pipes in good shape.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Nice job. On my 3023, the drain pipes are a foot and a half back from the tire. So maybe less risk, but I do have building a cage like this in my plans.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Craigrrr you're a wise man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
Thanks Tom, I was going for "battle ready" Lol I am also going to put some bolts in too. Over kill but better to be over than under I suppose.

I hope I never have to try it out. But we are going to do a 4 k trip in September and I need my pipes in good shape.
You don't have to explain about bolts to Mr. Overkill ....pipes are good and you are smart to protect them. I just wish everyone would follow your lead! It's like, if you want it to rain, you plan a family reunion picnic...and it does....so if you don't want a street-side blowout you build or install a cage....new tires...cage....hmmmmm ..... what's next? Like I tell folks about firearms..."Better to have to have it, and not need it...than need it and NOT have it"...same way with safety mods...or running/rolling stock on your TM....I mean the last thing you want is to break down in the middle of Nowheresville.......right?...the less hassles, the more fun!

So listen up all of my brother trailmanorites....craigrrr got the message....so what in the heck are you waiting for...a street-side blowout that takes out your plumbing Or even worse, all of the bathroom cabinets and possibly the tub too??? If you don't have a blowout cage then you're just asking for it!! Don't say i didn't warn you!!! You're tempting fate! So go ahead and poke that rattler with a twig!

Tom
Old 08-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

OK, now that I've turned the volume all the way down...

In the 3023, the wheel well spans the bathroom cabinet and the kitchen sink cabinet. The one on the other side is inside of cabinets too. To break the cabinet or shower the failed tire must pierce the wheel well, or knock the entire wheel well out of place. Maybe doing something to the wall too. I don't believe that the force which breaks cabinets is transmitted through those pipes at all. They're in the wrong place.

So, we're talking about an entirely separate reinforcing structure from the pipe cage. A big one, rounded, and without much clearance.

If I'm not mistaken, we only have one report of interior damage resulting from a tire failure so far? If I was concerned about this, I'd first go out and buy the Maxxis load-class "E" right away.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:47 AM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default My Blowout....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
OK, now that I've turned the volume all the way down...

In the 3023, the wheel well spans the bathroom cabinet and the kitchen sink cabinet. The one on the other side is inside of cabinets too. To break the cabinet or shower the failed tire must pierce the wheel well, or knock the entire wheel well out of place. Maybe doing something to the wall too. I don't believe that the force which breaks cabinets is transmitted through those pipes at all. They're in the wrong place.

So, we're talking about an entirely separate reinforcing structure from the pipe cage. A big one, rounded, and without much clearance.

If I'm not mistaken, we only have one report of interior damage resulting from a tire failure so far? If I was concerned about this, I'd first go out and buy the Maxxis load-class "E" right away.
Bruce have you had a blowout yet? When mine happened it busted the wheel well and spewed rubber bits all inside of the cabinets, so I know for a fact that this can occur and YES there has been a/some report(s) of the tread (probably steel belted) flapping so hard that it took out the bathroom cabinets....now granted that is a rare occurrence, however, the plumbing is much more likely to get the axe! But as I write about this I am planning on making a very snug flat inside the wheel well cage out of expanded steel (like the stuff cheap BBQ grills are made of). I believe that the wheel well just needs a little help to dodge a disaster and keep the seam from splitting open like mine did. I would rather have some steel taking on that flailing rubber than plastic. That tread can cover a lot of territory when it comes loose and anything within its reach is in trouble....like the wheel well...and the plumbing...and anything else it can strike!

We took a trip one year up to Colorado in my mother-in-laws 2001 Buick La Sabre and on the way home in Lawn Texas (south of Abilene TX) the tread separated from the left front drivers side tire at 70 mph. It sounded like a machine gun going off and busted the head light, sucked in and crumpled the front finder, and completely took out the wheel well liner! Anything in its line of fire got trashed. So I've seen what a thrashing steel belted tread can produce first hand.

Even if you are not concerned, you still should got out and get those Maxxis load range "E" tires just to be on the safest side possible. Isn't your family's lives worth that much? You know sometimes blowouts can cause the TV to lose control and crash right? So why take that chance and gamble with the lives of your family?
So get busy and build you a cage....wouldn't it be a BIG drag if you and your family took a trip and your plumbing got wiped out half way thru it? Now wouldn't that be a jolly time?
Tom ... who deep down really does care about you
Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
Nice job. On my 3023, the drain pipes are a foot and a half back from the tire. So maybe less risk, but I do have building a cage like this in my plans.
Thanks Bruce.
That foot and a half will make some difference but I still do the cage for peace of mind!

Almost done, I have one more piece of the perforated metal for in front I forgot about , I remembered right after tightening the last bolt LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tm blowout cage 2 001.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	797.9 KB
ID:	13818   Click image for larger version

Name:	tm blowout cage 2 002.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	920.1 KB
ID:	13819   Click image for larger version

Name:	tm blowout cage 2 003.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	13820  

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #9
bheisser

i understand the safety side and i say take whatever precautions you deem beneficial,, but to say that someone who does not perform extension modification or doesn't go out and buy maxxis E rated tires "DOESN'T VALUE THIER FAMILY" is kind of ridiculous. How about if you truly value your family you will buy knew tires before every trip and never drive over 40 miles per hour,,, and if you truly value your family you will take your trailer in for inspection before each trip...not practical and not likely,,,,,,i personally bought 14 inch d rated tires,, i check the air before every trip and after a year i will swap the spare and street side and then i will replace them,,, this year i have pulled about 3k miles....including through the smokey mountains,,,no issues...while i do think some of the safety modifications are great and other are overkill,,,,i don't think that anyone who doesnt run out andperform them loves thier family any more or less than someone who does
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheisser View Post
i understand the safety side and i say take whatever precautions you deem beneficial,, but to say that someone who does not perform extension modification or doesn't go out and buy maxxis E rated tires "DOESN'T VALUE THIER FAMILY IS KIND OF RIDICULOUS. How about if you truly value your family you will buy knew tires before every trip and never drive over 40 miles per hour,,, and if you truly value your family you will take your trailer in for inspection before each trip...not practical and not likely,,,,,,i personally bought 14 inch d rated tires,, i check the air before every trip and after a year i will swap the spare and street side and then i will replace them,,, this year i have pulled about 3k miles....including through the smokey mountains,,,no issues...while i do think some of the safety modifications are great and other are overkill,,,,i don't think that anyone who doesnt run out andperform them loves thier family any more or less than someone who does
Each owner can make up their own mind without being scolded, which is the feeling I get reading some of the previous comments. (Not yours BHeiser)

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote