TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Philip

Default Current Drain For Propane Sensor

Hello,

Just a quick note. In my obsession with reducing parasitic current drain, I finally decided to put a switch on the propane sensor in my TM. I only shut it off when the TM is not in use and the propane is shut off at the tanks.

FYI the propane sensor uses ~0.15 amps according to my link battery monitor. Doesn't sound like much but it all adds up over weeks of idle time. I see no need for the batteries to discharge during idle time.

I have already eliminated the drains from the radio antenna power amp and radio itself. Now at virtually zero current draw when idle.

MUST, HOWEVER, REMEMBER TO TURN THE PROPANE SENSOR ON WHEN I USE THE TM.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
MisterP

Other than being a PITA, why not just take the battery out and put it on a tender at your home? Yes, I am a safety consultant and a bit paranoid about stuff like this, but putting a switch on a critical safety device begs the question not if you will forget, but when.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
kokilo

Hi,

On my 2006 2720SD the propane/co sensor is turned off when the rear bathroom wall is folded down and a switch is opened. So when the TM is collapsed it is off.

Peter
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Other than being a PITA, why not just take the battery out and put it on a tender at your home? Yes, I am a safety consultant and a bit paranoid about stuff like this, but putting a switch on a critical safety device begs the question not if you will forget, but when.
Hello,

I certainly appreciate your valid concern.

I am pretty good about these things but yes you are right that I will forget to turn it on sometime in the future. I will not be turning the sensor off/on daily when I am using the TM. I would only turn the sensor off when I turn the propane off at the bottles. With a checklist the chance of not turning the sensor on is reduced further.

I have two large(heavy) batteries and it is not practical to remove them when the TM is idle.

I guess you would have to say that I expect it to be a rare occasion when I would forget to turn on the sensor and it is also a rare time that one has a propane leak. Although these two rare events could happen at the same time, I am willing to take the chance they won't. For me, this is just one of the many risks in life I am willing to take. This does not make your point any less valid.

Have a happy camping season,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
brulaz

In our case, the Propane or Carbon Monoxide sensor goes off on very hot, very humid days when the trailer is all closed up. When storing it, I take out the fuse. And put it back in when we start traveling.

And when occasionally storing the Elkmont without the electricity connected to trickle-charge the battery, I remove the battery fuse.