TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
seanlou

Default newbie questions

we have recently purchased a used 2013 TM (2720SD), still going through manuals and get familiar with it. It's greatly appreciate it if you could help me with the following questions:

1. there are 2 switches (IMG_1) underneath the TM, what are these switches for?
2. there are 2 pairs of water valves, one with white and red (IMG_3) close to the black/grey water valves, the other pair close to the 2 switches (IMG_2)), I assume these are for draining water tank? Is one pair for fresh water, the other for water heater? which one is which? when to drain them?
3. how to fill up water heater tank? Where is the filler port located?

Thank you so much in advance!
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	13635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	13636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	13637  
seanlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlou View Post
we have recently purchased a used 2013 TM (2720SD), still going through manuals and get familiar with it. It's greatly appreciate it if you could help me with the following questions:

Just guessing, probably to turn on refrigerator without opening the camper, a modification completed by PO. I don't know why there are two switches.

Quote:
2. there are 2 pairs of water valves, one with white and red (IMG_3) close to the black/grey water valves, the other pair close to the 2 switches (IMG_2)), I assume these are for draining water tank? Is one pair for fresh water, the other for water heater? which one is which? when to drain them?

Fresh water tank, hot water tank, low point drain(s) of supply lines to kitchen and bathroom.

When you are leaving camp or before storing for winter.

Quote:
The water heater will fill with either city supply or running your pump on self-contained fresh water tank.

Quote:
Sean
Enjoy your new (to you) trailer.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question switches?

Quote:

Sean
Sean, I've never seen anything like this before so my guess is one might be a shut off for the 12v to the trailer. Try flipping one or both and see if that kills the power to your interior (or anything 12v for that matter). Or...one might be a battery disconnect..but seems a bit puny for that. This is definitely a modification and not stock.

As for the valves, the ones by the sewer hose waste discharge valves are for draining your plumbing system when winterizing your TM against freezing temps. The red one is for the hot water and the other one is for the cold water. Now the two valves up front are for draining the fresh water tank and for draining the hot water tank.
To fill the hot water tank, just hook up the "city" water supply and turn it on. Your hot water heater will fill itself automatically...or with the fresh water tank having water in it, turn on the pump (the switch is on a control panel in the front underneath the lip of the kitchen sink...it will say "pump" I think). With the pump on, it will also automatically fill up your hot water tank.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: NEVER TURN ON THE 120 VAC SWITCH ON YOUR HOT WATER HEATER (LOCATED INSIDE THE HOT WATER HEATER PANEL) WITHOUT FIRST HAVING WATER IN THE TANK OF THE HOT WATER HEATER!!! I did this once and in less than 15 seconds it burned out the 120vac electric heating element of the hot water heater. I had to replace it, which was not a very big deal but could have avoided it if only I had known. So after you turn on the city water to your TM, go inside and turn on the hot water (actually both to remove the air in the water lines) faucet on the kitchen sink. Once the air is out and water is flowing freely from the hot water side, then your tank will be full. If you are on the inside you'll probably be able to hear it filling up. Just a heads up FYI if you didn't know already.

good luck
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
Just guessing, probably to turn on refrigerator without opening the camp er, a modification completed by PO. I don't know why there are two switches.

Enjoy your new (to you) trailer.
My guess for the second switch (if he's right about it being for refridg) would be for the refrig fan.

Did you buy from dealer or private party? Maybe you can contact the previous owner. If from dealer give dealer your contact info and ask them to pass it on to PO with message wanting to know about mods done.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
seanlou

Default switches

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions, really appreciate it.

I bought the trailer from a private party and will ask him about the switches.

Tom, your detailed answer is really appreciated. we live in Colorado, plan to take our first local trip to the Mueller state park this Wed (7/6) to just get familiar our TM, will definitely take caution about the important note - filling up hot water tank before turning on the switch. I could've made the same mistake if i didn't read your note.

I have some more questions, if you could help me with those, that'd be great.
1. how to turn on furnace? Do i need turn it on even if I don't intent to use heating?
2. is the battery automatically charged when the shore electric is connected?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 07-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Smile

Quote:

1. how to turn on furnace? Do i need turn it on even if I don't intent to use heating?

No, you do not need to turn it on. Actually I prefer electric/ceramic heaters when necessary, because I can direct the heat. With electric/ceramic heaters I can also set temperatures within a smaller range. The LP furnace (in a 2619) has the register directly across from the thermostat hot/cool/hot/cool/hot/cool/hot/cool/hot/cool.

Quote:
Yes, unless you have some funky inverter/solar charging set-up.

If you have a large enough gauge wire from your TV the battery will charge also.

Quote:
Thanks,
Sean

Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
seanlou

Thanks Mark! appreciate it!

we did purchase a small ceramic heater from Wal-mart ($15 ) as we are very likely just need it heat when going to bed at night so small area as you pointed out is perfect.

Thanks again!
Sean
Old 07-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks Mark! appreciate it!

we did purchase a small ceramic heater from Wal-mart ($15 ) as we are very likely just need it heat when going to bed at night so small area as you pointed out is perfect.

Thanks again!
Sean
I would purchase two and point them in opposite directions.

Away from the thermostat and toward the sleeping inhabitants.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question no and yes...

Quote:

I bought the trailer from a private party and will ask him about the switches.

Tom, your detailed answer is really appreciated. we live in Colorado, plan to take our first local trip to the Mueller state park this Wed (7/6) to just get familiar our TM, will definitely take caution about the important note - filling up hot water tank before turning on the switch. I could've made the same mistake if i didn't read your note.

Thanks,
Sean
ok seanlou....the furnace is easy. And if you turn it on you ARE intending to use heating..otherwise it's just OFF...so...To turn it on, make sure the propane bottles are turned on first. Then all you have to do is move the little thermostat (the one under the lip of the kitchen sink) slider to whatever temp you want that is above the temp in the trailer ( that is also displayed on the thermostat) and it will light itself. It might take it a couple of times to get the air purged out of the propane lines, but it will light and then the blower motor should come on and start blowing hot air. That's it! Simple!

Your Tm has a converter/charger. This means that when plugged into shore power, the converter changes 110-120 volts AC into 12 volts DC to run all the 12 volt devices (light, radio, etc..) and automatically switches off the battery bank so the charger part can recharge the battery. This is all the while still powering all the 110-120 volt AC wall sockets and anything else that runs on AC voltage ...like your air conditioner. Then when you disconnect from the shore power the converter/charger switches automatically back to the 12 volt battery(s). Does this explain the function of the converter/charger? I too just recently learned all of this when my converter failed and started putting out 19 volts DC instead of just the 12 it's suppose to. So I had to buy a new one..but that's ok because now I have a much better one than that 2003 model. It wasn't a hard job either to do a replacement. Basically the old slid out and the new slid in and I had to connect up wires but that was all laid out to do as well.
Good luck on your shake down cruise!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
seanlou

Thanks Tom! You read my mind You know as a newbie I like the answers as detail as possible! Not only you answer my questions, but also tell me exactly what I want to know such as where the switches are located etc.

Mark, I'll try it with one ceramic heater, if needed, will absolutely buy another one, what you said does make sense to me.

Thank you!
Sean