TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Has anyone been to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta? Just read about it in one of the Good Sam mags and thought about going there after Pismo Beach, then up to Moab for a few days and home.

If you've been there:
1. What's the RV Park situation at the site like. They say they have "low pressure" water, whatever that is, and electricity.
2. How much time would you recommend spending there?
3. Any particular events that shouldn't be missed?
4. Is it even worth doing?

Ellen loves watching balloons that float down our valley. But that's only one or two at a time. Nothing approaching what Albuquerque sounds like.

Keith
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
MisterP

We were there in 2007. It is amazing to see 800 balloons in one place at the same time.

We flew in and used a hotel so I don't know about the RV park but a visual while I was there told me it was crowded. It is also my understanding you are limited to the number of days you can stay.

If you go and are interested you can sign up to crew a balloon. I did it for 4 days with a pilot out of Taos. Some balloons fly mornings and evenings some just mornings. Wear layers, it is quite cold in the desert early in the mornings.

I highly recommend the event. I have a lot of good pictures and memories.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Default Balloon Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
If you've been there:
1. What's the RV Park situation at the site like. They say they have "low pressure" water, whatever that is, and electricity.
2. How much time would you recommend spending there?
3. Any particular events that shouldn't be missed?
4. Is it even worth doing?
Keith
Keith - we went last October. We camped - sort of. Had some friends who live just north of Albuquerque and we parked the TM in their driveway. Drove down to the site each morning - early! - to get a close parking spot. Traffic is pretty bad and you can end up walking a mile or so to get to the field if you are not rreally early.

1. We saw the RV park at a distance only so can't answer any specific questions. I can tell you it was full. and I've heard that if you want reservations for next year, you are probably already too late (but check anyway - they have a pretty good web site). If you can get in, it is a great location because you can see the whole field from the edge of the parking lot (that is essentially what it is). Ma not be great "camping" but convenience trumps amenities in this case.

2. I'd say you want to spend at least 3 or 4 days there - and include a weekend. That way if you have an event cancelled due to weather or wind, you additional chances. The "balloon glow" was canceled last year because of 20-30 mph winds.
A lot of the "events" during the week are speciality events as opposed to the mass ascentions that you see in pictures - which seem to be only on weekends. Just keep in mind that you have from about 9:00 am to about 8:00 pm with not much happening on the field.
3. I'd say for those who have general interest, the mass ascension is the most spectacular event. If you are more of a balloon groupie the other events have some interest (chases, key contests, etc).
4. It is definitely worth doing - especailly if you love watching hot air balloons. It is very colorful so it is a photographers dream. Being able to roam the field while the balloons are firing up is a really fun experience.

FWIW, the Mile High Trailblazers camping committee floated the idea of going in the fall of 2012. Someone in the group knows of a campground just north of the field with full hookups that is right on the rail line. You can ride the train down to the Fiesta site, avoid parking, and have a better campground to stay at. I'll post information here if that happens.

Alan
Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
FWIW, the Mile High Trailblazers camping committee floated the idea of going in the fall of 2012. Someone in the group knows of a campground just north of the field with full hookups that is right on the rail line. You can ride the train down to the Fiesta site, avoid parking, and have a better campground to stay at. I'll post information here if that happens.

Alan
Hmmmm. That sounds like fun. Keep me posted.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
rothko1

Keith,
It's an event well worth attending. I'd agree with Alan on spending a few days there due to possible cancellations. The ascensions are amazing. You'll need to get there before dawn but it's well worth the early rise. The Balloons are huge and beautiful to look at in our blue New Mexico sky.
I'm not sure what the RV situation is, but I know hotels fill up rather fast. there is a link on the webpage http://www.balloonfiesta.com/
for RV info. Look around for pics of the event..it is quite the sight. I'll see If I still have any on my hard drive.
Jim

Tags
albuquerque, balloon fiesta