Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Mud flaps / Splash guards

In another thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4308
we discussed the damage that a disintegrating tire can do to the underside of the TM, and to the plumbing if it is a road side tire that loses its tread. Since my wife and are coming up on a long trip (we do it twice a year), and since we have experienced the damage that happens as chunks of tread fly off, I decided to do something to try to reduce the damage.

One of our members suggested putting some good heavy mudflaps (aka splash guards) behind each tire, to try to deflect the chunks. Since I can't think of anything better, I did it today. The purpose of this post is simply to tell the membership that it is a pretty easy project. I bought a pair of 12" x 18" mud flaps from AutoZone or some such place. These are the ones that are intended for dually pickup trucks, and they cost less than $11 a pair. I also picked up some 1-inch #10 sheet metal screws and some big washers - fender washers, they're called. On each side of the TM, just behind the wheel, there is a convenient outrigger welded to the frame. I drilled 4 holes in each brace, and used 4 screws with a washer under the head of each to hang each mud flap. It took only about an hour to drill the holes and hang the flaps, and I did it without taking the tires off. At 18" long, the flaps hang a little low. It is hard to tell from the photo, but they are about 1-1/2 inches off the ground. I may decide to cut a couple inches off the bottom - or I may just ignore it.

I have no idea how much, if any, this will help. And I hope I don't find out. But it was cheap and easy, and it's gotta be better than nothing.

And as a side benefit, they may keep the stabilizer jacks cleaner!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mud flap.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1529  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote