TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
jackehop41

Default What capable TV will get the best MPH?

Hello to all,

Just returned from two months in Florida. Great time and TM was very accomodating. We've had a number of other RV's and wanted to see if we could get to our 45th wedding aniversary while staying in a 3023 for more than two months. Everything went well.

Here's the problelm. We now plan to continue going to Fla a couple times each year as well as up to Chicago for the annual family get together. Also we'd like to go over to the Carolina coast during the Summer so all together around seven or eight thousand miles a year.

With this ambitious travel plans, "Houston" we have a problem. Although the TM gets great mileage relatively, I'm considering changing to a TV if I can find one which gets better MPG. Has anyone any research on the most economical but capable TV for a 3023?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 04-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Debian Dog

Exactly. I know people that just bought SUV's. Why? Because it is 10-15K cheaper than buying a new car. That buys a LOT of gas even at $3 a gallon.

My suggestion would of course be a minivan with a towing package and WDH.

There is always the option of just slowing down. Best Speed for MPG? About 50 MPH

40-60 MPH - IF you believe in math
In addition:
- Drive at an even speed don't pass and if you do don't "floor it"
- Keep air filter clean
- Keep tires properly inflated
- Run synthetic oil

Saving 2 miles per gallon on a 1000 mile trip is BIG
Getting 10 MPG will cost you 100 gallons or $300
Getting 12 MPG will cost you 83 gallons or $250

You just saved $50 save another $50 on the way back
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
evans27292

Smile tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackehop41
Hello to all,

Just returned from two months in Florida. Great time and TM was very accomodating. We've had a number of other RV's and wanted to see if we could get to our 45th wedding aniversary while staying in a 3023 for more than two months. Everything went well.

Here's the problelm. We now plan to continue going to Fla a couple times each year as well as up to Chicago for the annual family get together. Also we'd like to go over to the Carolina coast during the Summer so all together around seven or eight thousand miles a year.

With this ambitious travel plans, "Houston" we have a problem. Although the TM gets great mileage relatively, I'm considering changing to a TV if I can find one which gets better MPG. Has anyone any research on the most economical but capable TV for a 3023?

Thanks,

Jack
i have a 2005,3023 pulled by a 2005 chevy crew cab 2wheel drive,5.3 eng. and avg. 17.5 mpg. at 65-70 mph. whether going north 85-95 or to nc or sc coast.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
PopBeavers

What are your other TV requirements.

For example, my requirements for a tV include:

1. four doors with comfortable seating for 4 adults, one of wich is 6 foot 5 inches tall.

2. 6 adult mountain bikes, weighing 50 pounds each (can't go on the back of the TM).

3. capable of being driven on forrest service roads (dirt and rock but not necessarily 4wd)

4. In the future will carry an ATV and a motorcycle when SOME of the mountain bikes are not present.

This eliminates all minivans. The best choice I could find was a full crew cab pickup truck with a 6 foot bed. The smallest used one I could find when I was looking around was the Chevy 1500HD.

If it is just two people with no additional cargo then you have a lot more choices than I do.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Donde1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debian Dog
I know I'm almost a month behind looking at this post, but I gotta tell ya. I like that "how stuff works" site! Definitly going in the favorites file!! Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Debian Dog

Since the post I have been doing some non-scientific testing with my Mini van

Front tire pressure 37 back tire pressure 39
Temp 70'ish
Terrain: The "mild" hills of Virginia mostly expressway

Findings:
65+ MPH (passing the "slow" people) = 14-15 MPG
60-65 MPH (My normal pace)= 15-17 MPG
< 60 MPH (not exceeding 60 ever)= high 17- 18 MPG

57 miles per hour seeming to be the "sweet spot" where I was barely turning 2100 RPMs (out of OD)