TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Rear Bed Problem

I've noticed that when setting up recently, the rear bed gets hung up on the frame of the picture that hangs on the folded down kitchen wall. I have to go inside and lift the bed over it to clear it.
This weekend we noticed that the inverted "L" that is the slide and hods the bed up on the track is weakening and causing the sag. It needs to be reinforced somehow.
I'm kinda worried about it bending enough to drop us out of bed one night.
My question is:
1) has anybody had this problem? If so what was your repair procedure?
2) how do you remove the bed to work on it?
Cheri
Old 10-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I recently took out the rear bed, removed the L-brackets, and replaced the plastic slide material that was on the outside with the same material as the outside rub strips.

The bed is easy to get out, but it's a 2-person job. You have to detach it from the support arms, fold the arms in, and the bed just lowers down and you can pull it out. If you unscrew about 8 or 10 of the screws that hold the plastic guide material at the ends, the arms will pop out without having to take all the nuts & washers off.

On mine, there were plastic bolts holding the L-bracket to the bed. I had to buy new metal bolts and then used acorn nuts on the inside of the bed frame.

The L-brackets on mine were wrapped with upholstery fabric. I took it off and re-glued it to the L-brackets. On the outside of my bed, on the sides, there was a strip of veneer board with the same coating as what is used on the bathroom wall inside. Do your best to keep this in one piece. It's function is to provide a small thickness for the screws to be countersunk into. I had to replace both of mine, and getting the right countersink for the screws to set into was a chore. If the screws stick out from the bed on the outside, they will catch on the lower shell upper corners (with the white plastic molding) and rip it to shreds.

It's kind of hard to describe with words, maybe I could draw you a picture of what I did. Mine are all covered up now with the rub strip material so from just looking at it, you can't tell what's underneath.

I'm kind of surprised that your L-bracket is weak; ours was in fine shape. We just needed to replace the "sliding" plastic that had broken off. There were some jagged edges along there that were catching on our plastic corner molding in the bathroom when the bed slid in and causing it to break off. It works great now.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Thanks Dee,
I will need to print this out and read it over a couple of times. Got 3 grand children throwing balls for my dogs in the kitchen. Im a little distracted but really appreciate the help. I don't think it's the bracket itself so much as the aluminum that it is attached to allowing it to angle up some. If you want to fax me a drawing, I can give you my fax number at work.
Thanks so much...now back to the battle field
Cheri
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Maybe the bolts need to be replaced.....? Does it wiggle around?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
2bcs1jrt

We aren't sure what is causing the weakness yet. Wanted to take it out to examine it more closely.
Cheri