TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Keeping the bugs out.

I have been sleeping in my "new to me" TM in my yard to get used to it and find things out before I am on the road with it. Last night I turned on the AC an hour before I was going to sleep in it then went back in my house. I left a light on inside, but windows and doors were closed. When I went in to sleep I noticed quite a few moths and other insects inside the trailer.

I suspect they are entering along the seal that runs along the bathroom exterior wall on behind the kitchen sink. When I feel in there with my hand, the upper seal seems to be touching the lower seal, but I really can’t see in there the way they overlap. I suspect there may actually be a small gap because I have noticed when conditions were right that indirect light seems to be getting through there. I am thinking with the lights on inside, light is shining out through this seal, attracting insects to the gap and that is where they are entering.

I was already thinking I would want to fix this before I go camping in cold weather to conserve propane.

Does this sound like the logical entry point for my moths and all? Is this something that I can adjust myself?

Jim
Old 07-16-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim -

To see gaps in the seal, it might be easier to reverse the light path. After dark some night, set up a light outside the TM. Even a table lamp set on the ground would do. Go into the TM, collapse the bathroom walls, and turn off all the interior lights. From the darkness of the TM's interior, any seal gaps should be immediately apparent. As to whether you can fix them yourself - well, that depends on the nature of the gap you find. In another thread yesterday, Denny_A described how he had to have the factory do a quick shell adjustment to close a big seal gap.

For cold weather camping, yes, you will want to close this gap, to minimize drafts if nothing else. But it is my experience that the door area of the TM is pretty leaky in cold air, so I am not sure that you will save a lot of propane. With drafts minimized, though, that big ol' furnace will keep you plenty warm.

Bill

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We had a bug problem during a recent trip to Alaska and discovered that using the inside lights sparingly took care of much of the problem --- of course it's fairly light around the clock there during the summer. It hasn't been a problem elsewhere so we haven't looked for a permanent solution --- just added it to our list of the acceptable compromises we are willing to make to get the benefits of owning a TM.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Larry_Loo

Question Tell us about your Alaska trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
We had a bug problem during a recent trip to Alaska and discovered that using the inside lights sparingly took care of much of the problem --
How about telling us about your trip to Alaska with your TM, fcatwo? Perhaps, write an account for the "Camping Stories" section. There must be others like myself who've always been fascinated with driving the Alcan to Alaska, but, have never done it.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
BobRederick

Major agreement with Larry here!!!
Bob
Old 07-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Jim-NY

Default Alaska details please!

fcatwo,

I too would really like to hear about your Alaska trip including how your TM worked out for you. I hope to go myelf someday and am wondering if I would want to take a TM.

Jim
Old 07-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I'm flattered by your interest men.

However, as I've mentioned before, we lived in Juneau Alaska for almost 30yrs, have made numerous trips up and down the Alaska Hwy and still go back every summer. Consequently I don't notice a lot of new things that stick in my memory on a trip. I suppose things I see and do just go as far as my RAM and never make it to my hard drive :-). I'll review our Visa statements however and see if they will refresh my memory enough to allow me to write something interesting.

Also, I've posted a couple of blurbs since our return that may take the heart out of a more lengthy treatise. Both are in the General Discussion Forum. One was on July 3rd under the discussion of "3TMs Spotted On Rd In 4 Days" and the other on June 17th under the discussion of "North To Alaska".

We did have a couple of bear incidents during our bike camping tour that city folk might find amusing. I'll check my posts to see if I've already mentioned them.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote