TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Marion Dutra

Default winegard carryout

Has anyone had experience with the Winegard Carryout satellite system. In order to watch 2 different programs am I right in thinking you need 2 receivers as well as 2 t.v's. Or has anyone installed the stationery king on the roof of their T.M
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

No experience, we don't do tv when camping. We do get amused by watching folks spend several hours trying to get their sat dish set up

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Dutra View Post
Has anyone had experience with the Winegard Carryout satellite system. In order to watch 2 different programs am I right in thinking you need 2 receivers as well as 2 t.v's. Or has anyone installed the stationery king on the roof of their T.M
I use both the Winegard CM-MP1 carryout antenna and the Winegard RM-DM61 roof mounted, crank-up antenna. Winegard does call each of these a "satellite system" but that's not really accurate. A complete satellite system requires an antenna, a satellite receiver and a digital t.v. (as well as all the cables).

The simple answer to your question is yes. In order to watch 2 different programs you are right in thinking you need 2 receivers as well as 2 t.v's. You will also need two separate satellite antennas (or one antenna with dual LNB's)

I use the RM-DM61 roof mounted antenna (mounted on my TM by the factory) most of the time. I use the CM-MP1 when the campsite location has obstructions that get in the way of my view of the satellite.

I find both of them easy to set up (five minutes or less) by using some aids. I have a satellite tracker and compass on my i-phone that lets me easily find the elevation and azimuth to my satellite (DirectTV 4s) where ever I am and I have a signal strength meter that lets me "dial in to" the exact position with out having to run back and forth to the television set in the TM.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Jerry: What is the name of the iphone apps?

Keith
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Jerry: What is the name of the iphone apps?

Keith
These are apps for the iPhone 3GS or 4. The Compass app comes installed on those phones. This Compass app allows you to get either true or magnetic north.

The most elaborate satellite finder app I have is called SatFinder v2.0. It even allows you to physically "view" your chosen satellite's position and determine if there is anything in the line of site (trees, poles and etc).

The simplest satellite finder app I have is called iSatFinder. It simply finds your position(using the iphone GPS feature, or you can enter it manually) then it calculates the antenna Elevation, Azimuth and LNB skew to properly point to your chosen satellite.

In both cases, there is a huge list of satellites to chose from. You can best find your satellite in this list by first knowing it's name and position. If you have no idea what that is, ask customer service at your provider (DirectTV, DishNetwork, etc.).

I usually set the Elevation then rotate the antenna slowly through the Azimuth until my signal strength increases to a max. Then I lock the Azimuth and slowly increase or decrease the Elevation to get the highest signal possible.

I believe the SatFinder is $2.00 and the iSatFinder is free.

Regards,

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Dutra View Post
In order to watch 2 different programs am I right in thinking you need 2 receivers as well as 2 t.v's.
There is kind of a middle ground that might not be good for everyone. Yes, you need two receivers, but you can get a dual receiver (two independent receivers in one package) from Dish for sure (model 622 for example), and most likely from DirectTV. So that simplifies things. And with DishTV, almost all programs come down from a single satellite at azimuth 119, so a small dish antenna with a single feed and a Separator (similar but not same as a splitter) will bring in two independent channels of almost everything you want.

With DishTV, the second satellite at 110 carries mostly local channels which you won't be able to get outside your home area anyway, plus some foreign broadcasts. If you can live with that, it is a relatively convenient package.

I don't know much about DirectTV, but I have this setup for DishTV.

We'll leave aside the question of why anyone would want to watch TV at all, let alone two different programs, while camping

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote