TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
JBYRNE7844

Question "Sewer Solution"?

Are any of my fellow TM owners using or had experience with "Sewer Solution" which connects to the black water pipe and using a jet of water mascerates the waste thus being able to drop down to a 1" hose?
Thank you,
Jimmy

You Tube video:
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jimmy -

I think several of our members use one, and you will hear from them shortly. I have always thought I might try one, but one thing holds me back. When you empty the toilet in the conventional way - through the 3-inch slinky hose - there is a big "whoosh" of water leaving the toilet when you pull the dump valve outside the camper. It is this "whoosh" that carries the solids out of the toilet. If you dribble the water out through a smaller hose, the solids may be left trapped on the floor of the toilet tank.

The macerator can't break up whatever doesn't reach it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Scott O

I have used the Sewer Solution off and on for several years. Bill is absolutely correct. The TM toilet needs to be full (add water if necessary) because it depends on the pressure of the water in the tank going out the 3" pipe to empty efficiently. Without that pressure, there is the very real possibility that solids will remain in the bottom of the tank, creating potential problems in the future. So if I have hook-ups or access to a dump station, I will always us those facilities to dump and clean. On the other hand, if I need to do a bit of tank dumping at home, I have a 2" pipe hooked into a house drain clean-out which is about 25' from the TM. The Sewer Solution is the only "solution" in this situation!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I have a Sewer Solution & I can say it works well although it is slow compared to the big hose. Now not to be too Gross but I can also say nothing is left behind after using it exclusively for quite sometime. I know this because our toilet had to be replaced once not to long ago. We also are clean freaks as well as germ-a-fobs so we use our toilet when at camp site.

Now I will continue to use it when I get around to replacing the existing Thetford with the Scamp Toilet a few members also used as a replacement.

The SS is very clean to use also.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
wmtire

Yep, I got one after reading the positive comments in these forums several years back. I like it, and would recommend one to others.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

At one time (like 2007), a fairly popular design for a homemade sewer solution was circulating. The link to it appears to be dead today, but I printed a copy at the time, and still have it. Even bought a lot of the parts. But I just never convinced myself that it was a good idea, or any simpler than a slinky as long as there was a downhill run to the drain port. The primary advantage that I saw at the time was that it would pump uphill, and I never found myself needing to do so.

So anyway, perhaps you can find the plans on the web somewhere that I have missed. The author's name was Tracy Oakley. If you have no luck, I would be willing to scan the plans for any TMO Sponsor - just PM me.

Any Sponsor going through Scottsdale might want to stop by my house and pick up some parts real cheap! Don't know exactly what I've got - and I know I don't have them all - but you are welcome to them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Scott O

The other advantage, besides Bill mentioning that you can push the liquid up a slight incline, is that you can run the SS hose at least 30'. In some applications this may be the only way to dump.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
retiredgoat

After purchasing mine and using it a couple of times I'm hooked I even cut the end off of an 3/4" garden hose to give me 50' of distance for an setup at my Dads old place and it pushed everything just fine.

At one time I was going to tap off of the internal pluming for DC pump water but I've purchased an 18 gal gray portable tank that works great.

You'll get a few questions from neighbors, I had let one guy use it to see how he liked it here in Florida and after he saw how it rotated spraying back up inside the pipe and then down the outlet he was hooked.

Good luck and happy camping.
Bob
Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgoat View Post
After purchasing mine and using it a couple of times I'm hooked I even cut the end off of an 3/4" garden hose to give me 50' of distance for an setup at my Dads old place and it pushed everything just fine.

At one time I was going to tap off of the internal pluming for DC pump water but I've purchased an 18 gal gray portable tank that works great.

You'll get a few questions from neighbors, I had let one guy use it to see how he liked it here in Florida and after he saw how it rotated spraying back up inside the pipe and then down the outlet he was hooked.

Good luck and happy camping.
Bob

I first purchased mine because I saw my camping neighbor using one on our very first trip & I asked lots of questions. I do keep a standard hose on our TM also but haven't used it since I purchased the SS.

Also as I stated we use our toilet exclusively at the campsite due to us being weird I guess. We have had no issues with it although I have a habit of really spending allot of time on the last dump before leaving for home. I also had to replace the toilet due to a defect about a year ago & to my surprise there was nothing extra left behind in the corners or anywhere.

I will be replacing the Thetford hopefully soon with the one others have done here just because I think it will work better for us.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
nightowlgk

Loved the Sewer Solution. I had a 50ft. pvc pipe extender to run it to my septic tank in the middle of my front yard.

The water high pressure jet really cleans UP into the tank when you twist the lever. That flushes all the remaining black waste. You see the water go clear after a few twists. The thing works.