TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
bill s

Question cracked frame

what ever happened to the cracked swing tongue issue!!!!!!
is there a final factory solution and/or fix ?????
Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill s
what ever happened to the cracked swing tongue issue!!!!!!
is there a final factory solution and/or fix ?????
As I understood Michael Hulsey, the factory solution (effective on all new TMs with swing tongues) is an additional "gusset" welded on the bottom of the tongue frame.

As for those of us who've already had/fixed the cracked frames, I know the welders who repaired the TMs belonging to PopsBeaver and me welded such a gusset on the bottom of the frame as well as welding the crack itself. Have no idea what was done to the other trailers, such as the one belonging to UtahSue.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I thought I posted the final chapter on mine. Maybe I only think I did.

At any rate, the crack was welded closed, a piece of strap was welded across the bottom, with the welds going lengthwise only.

The welder also moved the locking pin for the other side. As made at the factory the curbside pin slid in behind the flat plate across the front of the fixed portion of the tongue. The welding shop that repaired mine drilled a new hole straight down through the box tube. This resulted in the elimination of a small amount of slop that I could feel while driving. I consider this to be an additional improvement.

From my perspective all is well.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
utahsue

Default Check the original thread

I have posted my photos on the original thread on this topic, so you can look there to see my repair.