TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
David M Barton

Question 12V Winegard socket size

The 12V sockets in my 2007 2720SD are too small in diameter for many of my 12V appliances. Yet every one of these items fits in the 12V sockets in my tow vehicle, a 2004 4Runner.

Q #1: Have any others of you out there experienced this problem?

Q #2: If so, have you solved it?

Q #3: If so, how? (Replaced sockets with what? New model from Winegard that has a larger hole diameter? ......

Q #4: Has anyone already communicated this problem to Trail Manor? To Winegard?

Dave Barton
San Jose, CA
Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Shandysplace

Default Welcome To The Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Barton View Post
The 12V sockets in my 2007 2720SD are too small in diameter for many of my 12V appliances. Yet every one of these items fits in the 12V sockets in my tow vehicle, a 2004 4Runner.

Q #1: Have any others of you out there experienced this problem?

Q #2: If so, have you solved it?

Q #3: If so, how? (Replaced sockets with what? New model from Winegard that has a larger hole diameter? ......

Q #4: Has anyone already communicated this problem to Trail Manor? To Winegard?

Dave Barton
San Jose, CA
#1 Yes
#2 We haven't
#3 Others who'll answer this will no doubt have some recommendations.
#4 Absolutely.

Remember those outlets are rated for just 8amps. We blew our fuse and preamplifier trying to run a portable air compressor rated at 15amps.

Those sockets have gotten considerable attention on this forum. Possibly our Moderator Bill Jeffreys can supply you the appropriate link(s).
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
TraceyMac

Default 12V Winegard Socket Size

You have stumbled onto a fairly common problem. Most (but interestingly, not all) folks who have commented on this issue have the same problem as you. It seems to go back many years. I have a 2008 2720 and the problem is still here. I am in the process of installing an adapter I purchased from Radio Shack that has 3 outlets and plan on wiring it into the TM 12V supply (probably via the radio circuit - Thanks Bill!). I had considered replacing the winegard socket, but it has some circuitry for the TV antenna system, and althought I don't use it at this stage, I might want it some day, so I decided to leave it as is and install the 3 outlet adapter along side of the current outlet. Here is a link to that discussion:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6887

You will note from comments in that link not everyone has the problem. I am not sure why, but maybe there are at least 2 types of windegard receptacles out there. Mine is so small it is all but impossible to fit any of my 12V plugs into it, even with extreme force. Hopefully my mod will be fairly simple and fix the problem once and for all.