TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
cawfebug

Default Rattles, Thumps, squeaks and Bumps

Hi All,

New to TM 2006 2720 (stepping up from a 2002 Aliner Expedition), and my first impressions is that it's pretty darn noisy. I expected it to be somewhat more due to the complex set up, but compared to our Aliner which is whisper quiet - I just want to ask if this is normal?

Very noticeable on bumpy roads of course (YAY MICHIGAN!).

Is there anything that you can recommend me looking at or tightning? The trailer has been empty so far. The LP tanks seem to rattle but the brakets are as tight as they can go - might put some rubber underneath.

Just put on new tires and re-greased bearings. Old tires were at 50 psi, the new tires Goodyear Endurance 14s are at 65 which I will take some out. Regardless, it was rattly before and after new tires.

On a similar note, our windows don't slide all the closed so the clip can secure it, that said, they seem to be staying in place. Is this a common issue?

Thanks for your input!
cawfebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
cawfebug

Also meant to add that I ordered some rubber to replace the hardened and cracked bumpers for the shells.
cawfebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb Definitely tune down your cold tire PSI.

Per the attached table of proper load inflation values, your 2720 (with a maximum axle weight of only 3500 lbs, excluding the tires and wheels) should not be loaded past about 3600 lbs. That's allowing 50 lbs on each axle for the tire itself, plus the wheel and rim.

You should not be above 50 PSI. And, if the TM is not fully loaded, then maybe you should be even lower than that (at 45 cold PSI). The tires are actually part of the suspension, and a small amount of sidewall flex is expected with properly inflated, properly "tuned" ST tires.

Too little inflation, the sidewall flex becomes too much and the tire overheats (a common cause of trailer tire "blow-outs"). But too much inflation, and the trailer is forced to handle all the road inconsistencies with only the Torflex axle and by shaking the entire trailer body - that's not a good thing either.

For dirt roads and utterly failed pavement, I drop to 45 PSI in the morning and drive slow. 50 PSI is my own "normal" number, although I own Maxxis 8008 Class-E tires (rather than Goodyear). When planning drives at higher speeds on smooth roadways, I increase to 55 or even 60 PSI -- depending on the Trailer load and the maximum speed I planned to drive.

It is a fine art, and it is better to err on the side of shaking too much (rather than the side of overheating with possible 'blow-out' failures, due to insufficient tire inflation).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Endurance Tire Loading.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	19827  
Old 03-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Although I have never experienced it, a rattling noisy hitch seems to be relatively common. There are any number of anti-rattle devices available from RV parts companies. Try etrailer.com, for instance, or pplmotorhomes.com or dyersonline.com. Just put the word "rattle" into their search box.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
wrenchami
Site Sponsor

I feel your pain. Tires are overinflated. I run 50psi on our 2017 2922KB, so 45lbs might be right for yours. Best to know your weight though and consult the table.

In order of importance, here is my input.

Looking for the simplest explanation (Occam's razor), I found that the biggest source of noise/rattle was coming from center wheel hub covers that were loose.

Make sure the hitch parts are properly lubricated. My first trip out was quite noisy because I had not lubed the hitch and spring bars enough. That made a big difference. Mainly it eliminated creaking ad popping with low speed maneuvers. I keep old sweat socks on hand to cover the ball and spring bar pivot ends when they're detached to help keep things clean.

Replacing the rubber frame pads is a great idea. I did that and it stabilized the roof sections and quieted things down. It also kept the corner latches from popping off on rough roads.

Rubber pads under the propane tanks can't hurt.

I've been working on repairing a rear bumper cover problem and with it off, I found myself under the rear of the unit and decided to check various under-body nuts and bolts and found several that were loose. I carefully tightened those and plan to work around the rest of the perimeter to check all the others once the weather here clears in the next few days. Given the 15 year age of your trailer, it might be a good idea to do that.

Good Luck,
Eric
'14 2922KB, 2x6V 115AH GC batteries up front. Slide out galley cabinet trays. All LED lighting. Awning LED light strip. LED night lights, front cabinets & in head. Liner-free shower mod. Exterior vent exhaust fan mod for head. Detachable shelves on galley walls. Bluetooth audio amp over fridge.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe TV, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Yandina160 combiner.

PO'd '78 American Clipper (21.5' class C), TM '03 3023QS couch model, Classic '75 GMC Eleganza II 26' Class A.
wrenchami is offline   Reply With Quote