TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
jerry kovacs
Site Sponsor

Default Keeping hangers on the bar

[D]oes anyone with an Elkmont have a cure for the clothes falling off the bar in the bathroom wardrobe? First day out my bar broke off because of the bouncing. I replaced it with a more sturdy design but the clothes still bounce off?

2011 Elkmont 26ES
2011 Jeep Overland, V8 Hemi
jerry kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry kovacs View Post
Also, does anyone with an Elkmont have a cure for the clothes falling off the bar in the bathroom wardrobe? First day out my bar broke off because of the bouncing. I replaced it with a more sturdy design but the clothes still bounce off?
Jerry -

I don't have an Elkmont, but a kind of universal fix is to get a strip of wood (lath) as long as the bar, and set it on top of the bar over the hanger hooks. Wrap a length of two-sided velcro over the top of each end of the wood strip, then down under the bar, and secure it to itself.

To keep the velcro loops from wandering, you may want to put a small screw down through the middle of each piece of velcro and into the wood strip beneath it. The screw must be short enought, of course, that it doesn't poke out through the other side of the wood strip.

The wood strip, properly secured, keeps each hanger hook tight against the hanger bar, so it can't fall off.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
jerry kovacs
Site Sponsor

Default Falling Clothes

Thanks, Bill. Great idea for bar. That will be my solution. Jerry

2011 Elkmont 26ES
2011 Jeep Overland, V8 Hemi
jerry kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry kovacs View Post

Also, does anyone with an Elkmont have a cure for the clothes falling off the bar in the bathroom wardrobe? First day out my bar broke off because of the bouncing. I replaced it with a more sturdy design but the clothes still bounce off?
Here's another trick I've seen but since we haven't had the problem, I've not tried it:

Take a pair of pliers and bend up the tip of the hanger hook. Then drop a sturdy rubber band over the hook. Once you place the hook on the rod, bring the rubber band up and hook it over the tip you bent.

Keith
Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

You can go to most RV dealers that have a parts area and you will find plastic hangers specialy designed not to come of the bar. They have to be pushed onto the bar with a little force and therefore do not come off by themselves. They are not expensive. We use them ourselves and have never had one come off the bar even when the cupboard is in its down position.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
moaboy

This month's Trailer Life suggests the "rubber band" or hair band method on their tips from readers page.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
camp2canoe

The hangers made to stay on the bar are called, aptly enough, Stay-Put Hangers, and are available in 6 packs at about $1.00 apiece from Camping World as well as many RV dealers. They are quite sturdy - I regularly use them to hang up my hunting vest which is full of shotgun shells. They are particularly useful on TMs where we have to take down the wardrode and rest it on the floor. I'll try to post a link to Camping World below. - camp2canoe

Stay-Put Hangers, 6pk
(1 review) Internet Sale: $5.99
Reg. Price: $6.66
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
ottfour

stay put hangers.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...gers-6pk/31375

Thought I'd help out camp2canoe
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
camp2canoe

Lord knows I can use the help! I don't know why the description printed without the illustration but thanks! - camp2canoe
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

l sew a lot using polar fleece and have to cut off the selvedge edges. I use these strips [could be an old pair of nylons or even a bungee] to tie our clothes together. Keeps them 'pressed' and on the rod. Good luck. Olga
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote