TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
JohnGreydanus

Default awning installation for a 2720SL

Greetings,
Purchased a 2007 TM (2720SL) last year which was 'loaded' with a bunch of extras. That was wonderful; however, no awning was ever installed. So, we are purchasing a awning from TM and am wondering if any TM owner has ever installed an awning themselves who may be able to give some helpful hints.
JohnGreydanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I've taken mine off (and on and off and on), but it came installed from the factory. So, the critical brackets were already on the TM. In truth, that would be the hardest part of the install, and I think all that needs be done is to secure them to the aluminum tubing that runs the length of the edge of the upper shell. Once that's done, you can make the install permanent by screwing the back of the awning shell to the same tubing (8 screws from the factory setup), or you can install sliders like I have in 2 places and just latch it on.

So, placement of those brackets would be the most important, and that would likely be by positioning them with the awning in place, supporting it somehow (scaffolding or 2 ladders and a 2x4 and some clamps would probably work) and then drilling the holes for the brackets.

There is a pic here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=5472&page=8 which shows the end of one of the brackets, the slide lock I have, and how the awning rests on the bracket.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
JohnGreydanus

Thanks for your reply. I'll certainly keep a copy of what you've written so that when the time for installation comes, I'll be better prepared!

Noticed that you're located in the Chicago area. My wife is originally from the Lake Geneva, WI area where many folks from Chicago land come for the weekend. Been there with your TM?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGreydanus View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'll certainly keep a copy of what you've written so that when the time for installation comes, I'll be better prepared!

Noticed that you're located in the Chicago area. My wife is originally from the Lake Geneva, WI area where many folks from Chicago land come for the weekend. Been there with your TM?
Nearby, yes, but not in Lake Geneva itself -- we usually stay in State Forests, and as far as I know there aren't any in the Lake Geneva area. At least, none that accept dogs and have electric

When the time comes, if you need more input, let me know!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
JohnGreydanus

Default Trail Manor Awning installed

Just wanting to let anyone reading this thread know that i was able to put the awning on our TM. I was kind of scared to put it on but after calling Eddie at the TM factory a few times, my 21 year old son and I put it up without any problems. I purchased the awning through the T.M. factory and received the detailed instructions I had requested. If any TM owner would like to know the details you may contact me at [email protected]

Now we have to go 'out there' and see if it really works.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Scottie Dogs

I just installed my new 5’ window awning this morning on our Trail Manor travel trailer. I got it at a RV junk yard in Phoenix 2 weeks ago. I did lots of research on how to do it. All came out 'super' very happy with the results, the spring wound up good in the awning, I know how to do that. That window is the living room window and the biggest in the trailer, so now we can keep the sun out, keep the window open in the rain, and have some privacy without closing the drapes + it looks so nice. The price on the awning was great compared too new and this one is just like new off a totaled trailer. Got to shop for things Lots of rivets in the rail, I hate to drill on the side of the trailer it is all caulked on top.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	6856  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Looks really great and I like the way you did the pull out strap as a tie down.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Really nice mod!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Pitbull

Looks like a Sunsetter awning.

Koz
Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
Looks like a Sunsetter awning.

Koz
It is a A&E Systems awning. It is not the best model but it will do the job in Arizona to keep that sun out of the TM big window. It will really work good. When you go to the RV junk yard you do the best you can for $125.00 hardware included. I got lucky for sure and I like the color, brand new. Our next trip I will take pictures how it looks when the TM is open, it will look very nice... I made a good move checking things out before I went to a dealer or Camping World to buy one.

Camping World tied up with the Good Sam club to honor the Presidents club discounts so you will not have to join the Presidents club, FYI. I like that...

Dave