TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Choices on new flooring

I am at the stage in my remodel where I can no longer put off selecting the flooring. The choices seem endless....

For anyone that has replaced their tile/carpet in their TM, I'm looking for your reviews of your flooring, specifically in regards to my concerns -

Trafficmaster Allure Ultra, vinyl click-lock flooring planks -
pros - thin (5mm), completely waterproof, light weight (assuming the carton weight listed on HD website is correct - it's a bit suspect)
cons - on the expensive end of the choices I am considering, and states "for use in temperature controlled environments only" (but I know someone here has used this product)
Swiss Krono solid oak laminate flooring -
Pros - on the inexpensive end of my choices, not required to be in temp controlled environment
Cons - heavy, 12mm thickness (plus underlayment) - how will this effect the fridge door?
Home Decorators Collection (Home Depot brand) luxury plank vinyl click-lock
pros - thinnest (4mm), completely waterproof
cons - heavy, states "for use in temperature controlled environments only" (but I know someone here has used this product)
mid-range price
I am really leaning towards the Swiss Krono, because it has the absolute PERFECT color/pattern I love, and it is the cheapest option of the three. But that 12mm thickness bothers me.... Anyone that has installed laminate, how thick was the product you installed, and how did that thickness effect the fridge door? I'm not as worried about the weight of the product - the vinyl, carpet & carpet padding I pulled out weren't exactly light weight - the carpet pad was VERY heavy... I may not break even on weight exchange, but I can't imagine I'd be adding too much more weight. Not to mention that I've removed both couches....
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Holly,

Here is the Home Decorator Collection 4mm vinyl. This is how far I got yesterday, so I have edges and molding yet to do. It can be difficult to fit some parts together. I got the Roberts 30002 Vinyl Tile Cutter, which works, but requires a lot of weight on it to make the cut and does it with a bang. Long cuts are done by scoring with a knife and straight edge, then bending at the cut, and you could really cut all of the pieces this way if you have the patience. I do the cut from the top side, but I think it's suggested to cut from the bottom. I think the cuts from the top come out cleaner. A rubber mallet and some scrap wood are useful to tap the flooring into position and I've used the rubber mallet to pound down where the ends weren't quite mating properly - that seems to work. I used two rolls of the Roberts 50-540 Max Grip Vinyl Installation Tape, just a few small pieces per plank except at the edges.

I'm going to have to pick up the couches to do the edges around them, and I had to remove the dinette table to get the carpet out from under it (4 screws). I think you've already discarded those parts.

The Traffic Master might be easier to install. Rather than locking edges, it has one grip strips with contact cement on them, so you just lay them down. Installing a plank between two others that were already taped down with the Home Decor required getting the edges locked and then pounding the end of the plank until it slid into place. I have a visible crack or two between planks and will see if it gets worse after cycles of heat and cold.

The problem with this flooring is when installed as a floating floor, it can expand and lift up if it gets hot, and the planks may come apart from each other. Most of my pieces have tape, so I'm hoping they stay in place.

The TM took 3 boxes, so about $150.

The original fridge is on rubber feet and probably gives you enough space. While you are working there, consider sealing around the fridge, as it's a major area for air and rodent intrusion, especially under the fridge. My rodent problems stopped when I screened the outside fridge vents and used foam panels all around the new compressor 'fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	15261  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
The problem with this flooring is when installed as a floating floor, it can expand and lift up if it gets hot, and the planks may come apart from each other. Most of my pieces have tape, so I'm hoping they stay in place.
I think that's my biggest concern with vinyl - the issue of extreme temps. I'm in the White Mountains of New Hampshire - winter can be brutally cold. Summers are usually fairly mild, but the occasional 'heat wave' of temps nearing 100 isn't unheard of, and we usually have at least one each summer.

My thoughts were that a floating floor would handle the temperature extremes better, so if the vinyl plank needs to be taped down because of an issue of curling in high heat, it's probably not a good choice. I was actually more concerned that the vinyl would be brittle in extreme cold, and end up cracking if for any reason I had to move the trailer.

I just wish there was a laminate that was thin, in a color that I am looking for. The stuff I installed in the 2nd floor in my kids's bedrooms in 2008 is thin, it was cheap, and it has held up great, despite the abuse it takes from the kids, the dogs, the cats - all the spin outs by the cats/dogs..... The surface has actually held up much better to the dog/cat spin outs than my very expensive Bellawood in my kitchen.... sigh... As a floating floor, it has also handled, very well, the extremes in the floor - my house was built in 1820, the floor is far, far, from level, despite laying down 3/4 OSB and a heavy felt underlayment. But winter ground shifts play havoc with the stone cellar walls and massive center chimney coming up from the cellar, which plays havoc with the alignment of the original beams, and the floor ends up with all sorts of dips and mounds, and the cheap laminate handles it all very well, nary a break anywhere yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
The original fridge is on rubber feet and probably gives you enough space. While you are working there, consider sealing around the fridge, as it's a major area for air and rodent intrusion, especially under the fridge. My rodent problems stopped when I screened the outside fridge vents and used foam panels all around the new compressor 'fridge.
Is that a replacement fridge you have? Or did you mod the original one? I'm deciding on what I will do with mine, since the original "wood look" looks absolutely horrible with the remodel. I'm considering taking apart the door and replacing the front insert with a piece of galvanized steel, spray painted in a color that will go with the remodel - and voila! My fridge will be magnetic!

BTW - your floor is looking fantastic, Bruce!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
Is that a replacement fridge you have?
Never mind Bruce, I see you said in your post that it was a new compressor fridge. I didn't see that the first time I read it (while at work). Now that I'm home I wanted to read it closer to jot down your suggestions of how to seal up the fridge area from rodent infestation - which I had plenty of winter before last, despite spending a small fortune on peppermint oil and placing cotton balls soaked in it all over the camper in little plastic cups that I cut down to only about 1/2" tall. This past winter, I cut up 2 bars of Irish Spring soap, into 6 little blocks each, and placed them around the trailer - on the bed decks, the counters, in the sink, on the floor..... not a single piece of mouse poop in the trailer when I opened it up this spring! WOO HOO!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Default Flooring

We replaced ours with 5/8 " thick sheet vinyl that was a remnant from a flooring shop and left 1/8 " space around the edges.We did make a template of the floor before we cut it . Then we added the molding that was removed and put flexible caulking around the edges at the dinette and hall at bathroom. So far it's working great , even in the Texas heat and humidity. Will try to send a pic along with post. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	687.9 KB
ID:	15262  
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by campernurse2012 View Post
We replaced ours with 5/8 " thick sheet vinyl that was a remnant from a flooring shop and left 1/8 " space around the edges.We did make a template of the floor before we cut it . Then we added the molding that was removed and put flexible caulking around the edges at the dinette and hall at bathroom. So far it's working great , even in the Texas heat and humidity. Will try to send a pic along with post. Hope this helps!
That looks great! Wow - the whole making a template and cutting a whole sheet of vinyl is a scary thought.... LOL I'm not sure I'm brave enough to attempt that! 5/8" seems fairly thick for vinyl - how much weight is that?

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards a floating floor (laminate or vinyl click-lock) is that I can put down an underlayment. Even in summer here, the nights can be fairly cold (we actually had snow on Mother's Day), and I like the idea of being able to insulate the floor somewhat. I'm assuming that your floor is glued down, so an underlayment would be out of the question.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I used vinyl stick-down squares from Home Depot.

It's lasted 4 years in Texas heat and one fall in Vermont cold.

Picture in old post here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...60&postcount=3
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I used vinyl stick-down squares from Home Depot.
Looks good Bill! Ugh, so many choices, with such varying pros & cons of each....
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

We caulked all the staple/ nail holes shut after taking out the old flooring , and it was not hard to make the template at all, we used a roll of brown paper and pieced it in where needed,worked great!We had no trouble with the thickness , pryed the flat molding from under the fridge , shaved it down some and put it back , caulked around it and it's holding up great so far . The weight is a little more than the carpet but nothing drastic . It's so much easier to keep clean now too. Im sorry , I misspoke, it's 1/8" thick ! Sorry too many projects going on at our house!
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by campernurse2012 View Post
Im sorry , I misspoke, it's 1/8" thick ! Sorry too many projects going on at our house!
I wondered about the 5/8" - I thought it must weigh a TON! LOL No worries, my bed is in the living room right now, since my master bedroom is gutted, so I understand having too many projects. But that's the way it always is here. Sigh.