TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Gwenne & Len

Default Question about the Norcold Fridge......

Our Norcold set a '1' freezes most things......very annoying and makes it's functionality limited. I am relying on my Arb for a fridge for veggies as the Norcold would freeze them. Any ideas?
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When this happens, is it running on elec, battery, or gas?

Only the elec operation has an actual thermostat. With gas, I think the knob controls the size of the gas flame, so the setting on the knob doesn't directly control temperature. But a setting of 1 means a pretty low flame, not much cooling. On battery, I think it just runs flat out, regardless of the knob, so again, the setting on the knob has no effect.

I am more than willing to be corrected - this has been a big topic here on the forum for several years.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Are you running on propane or 120v electric when it freezes. There is a difference in answering your questions.

Also, What setting did you have on the temp dial? What was the outside temp during the times it froze?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Gwenne & Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Are you running on propane or 120v electric when it freezes. There is a difference in answering your questions.

Also, What setting did you have on the temp dial? What was the outside temp during the times it froze?
Art and Joyce.....I am referring to use with electric.....I have it set at '1'.....don't have the manual with us, we are on a month long trip to the Southeast......I remember that before it was way too cold at '3' - and now too cold even at '1'......I"m using the Arb as a refrigerator for vegetables as the Norcold freezes them.....

Outside temp was 50's to 60's during the day.....low 40's at night, but we always have a heater on when it's that cold so more like 55 inside......any suggestions appreciated.....I've searched the forum, just didn't find anything......
2012 Highlander
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I assume the vegs are freezing up at night. For the most part the camper inside temp does not matter unless you are opening the door a lot, which we don't do at night. All the cooling coils and the back of the fridge is cooled to the outside temp

We had veges sometimes eggs freeze with almost all our campers during cold nights of 40 and below, while running on 120v. The 120V the fridge does have a thermostat that turns off the cooling when it come to temp but the sensor is midway up inside the fridge. Since cold seattle's the bottom of the fridge gets colder than the middle of the fridge. The center can get warm enough to turn on the sensor.

It could be a bad 120V temp sensor/thermostat, but I would think its the most common problem people have with the small RV fridges. The fridge becomes much colder at the bottom when sitting without the door opened for long periods. We were alway fighting the vegas and sometime the eggs freezing for many years. Six-plus years ago someone mention a small battery operated camco recirculation fan that sits on the bottom of the fridge and circulates the air. Since using six years ago we only had the issue a few times and that was when the outside temp was below 20 and that has only been while on propane.

The fan is a little larger than a can of pop

Camco fridge fan https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....qL._SX425_.jpg
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

If you become a site sponsor and get access to the full forums, you will find several threads that discuss potential fixes to your (very common) problem. I opted for permanent fans mounted to the cooling fins coupled with a mod that adds a digital thermostat to the 120V line. Works perfectly and I haven't had any freezing issues since--but it's quite technical to accomplish overall, you have to be good with wiring.

For a quick answer, the little fridge fan that was posted above will help some.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Gwenne & Len

Default Need some help with this, Bill......

I thought that our dues to be a sponsor were automatically deducted yearly.....how does one know if it's time to renew? Somehow we don't seem to be 'site sponsors' anymore.....I sent a message to Chris a few days ago, but no answer.....can you advise?
2012 Highlander
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

dues, I don't think they are automatically collected.I have never even gotten a notice.

Look under USER CP, under Paid Subscriptions.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tentcamper is right. Dues are NOT automatically deducted. No reminders are sent, but here is a hint. If you look at the posts above yours in this thread, for example, you will see that there is a title under each user name. By default, this title reflects your membership status, whether Site Sponsor, Trial Member, or (if missing) Registered Guest. So if your title suddenly disappears, that is a clue that it is time to renew. I should point out that if you give yourself a cute Custom User Title, it will override the default title, so you lose this clue. I always advise people not to use a custom title.

I understand some of the confusion, though. If you click on Paid Subscriptions, there is a choice of term - 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years. Below that is a line of text that says "any term with a red asterisk will be automatically renewed". This implies that it can be done - but there are no terms with a red asterisk. So this must be something built into the vBulletin software. Bottom line - no, I don't think it can be done.

I thought I remembered that you had been Sponsors in the past, but I wasn't sure. And sometimes Sponsors drop off the rolls intentionally, so I didn't see anything unusual. Regardless, at the moment your status is Registered Guest, and that is why you can't see the bulk of the Forum.

I hope you will rejoin soon, and I'll move this thread to its proper location.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Gwenne & Len

Thank you Bill.....I was able to renew our sponsorship tonight. I'll watch for the renewal time next time.....
2012 Highlander