TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #11
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I hooked up 2 different TVs to the antenna and did not get any local channels. I disconnected it and tried again with a newer TV in the house and still got nothing. I am out in the boonies so normally get very poor reception. That is why I have DirecTV.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I probably don't need to point this out, but ...

TVs today have two different reception settings, usually called AIR and CABLE. For local channels coming in over the air, and received by an antenna such as the Winegard or Jack antenna, the TV must be set to AIR. For signals coming in from the cable TV system found in most campgrounds, and (usually) from satellite TV systems, the TV must be set to CABLE.

The AIR setting is sometimes called ANTENNA - same thing.

Older TVs don't have the two settings. In effect, they are permanently set to CABLE. To receive signals from an antenna, they require an external converter.

Just a thought. I have no idea if it applies to your situation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #13
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I probably don't need to point this out, but ...

TVs today have two different reception settings, usually called AIR and CABLE. For local channels coming in over the air, and received by an antenna such as the Winegard or Jack antenna, the TV must be set to AIR. For signals coming in from the cable TV system found in most campgrounds, and (usually) from satellite TV systems, the TV must be set to CABLE.

The AIR setting is sometimes called ANTENNA - same thing.

Older TVs don't have the two settings. In effect, they are permanently set to CABLE. To receive signals from an antenna, they require an external converter.

Just a thought. I have no idea if it applies to your situation.

Bill
In addition, the digital tuners in newer TVs need to scan the airwaves to find out what to lock in. There's usually some kind of "set up" scan that will need to be performed any time you move the TM/TV, since the channels change.

Plus, depending on your distance to the broadcasters, you may need to rotate the antenna for best reception. Antennaweb has a tool to use to plug in your location, and it'll show the direction to the closest towers, which you can then use with a compass to point the antenna properly. There's also a signal strength meter that Winegard sells as an add-on to help with orientation.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well sorta. Modern flat screen TVs usually (monitors don't) have a digital tuner. When you say "older" that really means heavy 4:3 CRT based TVs using a NTSC tuner.

On Feb 19th, 2009 the US govenment said no more analog TVs aand required all broadcasters to switch to ATSC (digital) ssignalling

To bridge the gap there was a government program to provide converters with ATSC tuners and NTSC outputs. This was limited to 480p or what was called Standard Definition (SD). If the signal was 720p or 1080p it had to be downconverted.

Some 2005 model TVs had both ATSC and NTSC tuners and this increased until 2009.

Since 2009. all OTA (over the air) receivers have been required to have ATSC tuners.

So to have the HDTV experience (most HD OTA TV is 720p) you cannot use a converter box.

I have pulled in Orlando stations from both coasts (about 80 air miles) with a 26" 720p TV just using the standard TM roof antenna and amp.

Major thing for me that not all small TVs have is a headphone jack. Next one I buy will be 1080 though so can use as a 1920x1080 display for my PC. 1366x720 is fine for a TV but not good enough for a monitor.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
funpilot
TrailManor Master

OK, both of my test TVs may have been too old.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote