TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
BobRederick

Dave,
Your concept would work just fine. However, you don't need to run the generator that long. A good converter can recharge the battery sufficiently in 1 hour. Other than that, you only need the gen for high power items like the microwave, hair drier, (or A/C) etc.
Bob
Old 05-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Generator use restrictions and campground etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline
Thanks to all for the advice. Solar sounds fascinating and a variety of generators would seem to work as well.

As a rookie TM user I am, however, a bit confused over the repeated reference by generator users to charging the batteries. I have the impression that what you're decribing is a mode of operation in which you run the batteries down in the evenings by using the lights, fans, etc. on battery power, and then recharge the now-low battery(s) the next day with the generator.

I imagine that would work, but why not run the generator during the evenings when you're using the lights, fans, etc. so as NOT to draw down the battteries. In other words, when the electrical demand is high, run the generator. When the eletrical demand is low, use the batteries. That seems to be how most motorhomes with built-in generators work. Would the TM be any different? What am I missing here?
There are two reasons why many people only run their generators during the day: generator use restrictions and campground etiquette (don't annoy your camping neighbors).

Although Forest Service campgrounds usually only require that generators be turned off at the beginning of general quiet hours (10 pm to 6 am), there are increasingly a number of national and state parks that only allow generator usage during the day or early evening (no generators between 8 pm and 8 am).

Furthermore, the fastest way I've seen to really create a lot of hostility in a campground is to run a generator during the evening (particularly anytime after sunset) so you can have lights and TV. This particularly annoys the tenters since even a quiet generator is annoyingly loud inside a tent when the campground is otherwise noise free. A lot of people only want to hear birds and the wind in the trees, especially after it gets dark. I've watched several vigilante crowds form to "have a talk" with RVers who were running generators so they could watch TV. Got pretty ugly a couple of times...some serious verbal threats...and the RV left very early the next morning. One time the RV left that very evening after an altercation. I also recall being in a campground in RMNP one evening...guy was running a medium loud generator for only about an hour in the early evening (~7 pm) to recharge his batteries. When he finally did shut it off, folks at about a dozen different campsites all around him shouted "Thank You" quite loudly. The guy with the generator didn't use it again the next day...guess he got the hint that he was seriously annoying the people around him.

I personally despise anyone who uses a generator after about 8 pm...quiet or not. There's something about the drone that just irritates me to no end. I actually carry a dB meter with me and if I can show the campground host the generator exceeds the allowed sound levels (usually the case if it's a contractor grade generator), I'll ask the host to have the offending person shut down the generator. And if the host refuses, then I'll call the company the host is employed by. I so dislike generators that whenever possible I camp in campgrounds that have electrical hookups so I won't have to hear any generators.

Bottom line...even a quiet generator can create substantial hostility if used in the evening and generator hours are becoming increasingly very restricted in many national park campgrounds. People don't seem to mind generator use during the day as long as it's a quiet one. If you want to avoid unfriendliness from other campers, use your batteries for power in the evening and recharge them the following day.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
hal

Very likely, the factor that you may be missing is even tho the Hondas are quiet, they can still disturb the tranquility of a great moment under the stars. The sound although "hardly" noticeable is constant and the wift of exhaust fumes may not be over powered by the smell of camp fire smoke. Also, there are some campers who disagree with the use of a generator and are have an "attitude" whenever one starts up.

We use our Honda for after dark TV. It seems that we get very well through the night on our batteries (2- 6volt) We do not spare on what we use at night. We may have the radio on and whatever lights that give suit our needs. We have two 12 volt night lights that run all night long. Even without our generator, we have frequently camped for a three days and still had plenty of electricity stored in our batteries.

There are some who reserve the use of their generators for more remote campgrounds, such as in a state park or national forest. There are some who would react negatively to using the generator in such a pristine area.

So, most likely the greatest opposition are from those who have had a bad experience with a noisier or smellier generator or one that ran and ran.

Based on my experience with a generator, I have used it only on two occasions since i bought it three or four years ago and then only for an hour or two at a time. Ours is the 1000 watt and cannot run air conditioners, etc.
FYI, there is a greater demand for electricity at the moment that your air conditioner or other appliance starts up than after it is running. We have other ways to make our TM cooler during the heat of the Colorado day.

Check into Rocky Mountain Ray's idea of having solar installed. Solar was not so prevalant when we bought our generator or I would have considered it.

Hal
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

You are going to miss the peace and quite of the evening. Even the small "quite" generators at 1/4 speed have a low "hum" that is not asociated with the gentle peacefulness of a summer evening.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
Timberline

Points well made and taken. I certainly understand where most of you are coming from. In a formal campground setting of any sort, a get-along level of etiquette must be maintained and generator use, at any time, would seem poor form. I can't image using a generator much, if at all, in a campground.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, however, I'll be using my TM in the real bonnies-no campground and no one else around for miles. National Forest, BLM or on priviate ranches. My TM replaces my wall tent and wood stove. The muted purr of a small generator (for a few hours in the evening) substitutes for the chopping of wood and the hiss of a Coleman lantern.

Even so, I personally want a quiet and un-obnoxious generator (thus the Honda interest) and will typically use it only when I'm inside the TM, preparing an after-dark meal or relaxing a bit before bed. If I'm outside and enjoying the evening sights and sounds, the darn thing will surely be shut off.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
aldebnj

We just picked up a Honda EU2000i for use when dry camping. I use a C-PAP for sleep apnea that can run on 12 VDC or 120 VAC which I will run off of the house battery at night. I have a good battery charger that I will use instead of the converter and should be able to charge the battery very quickly. If we need to run any other appliances, it shouldn't be a problem (except for the AC).

We looked into solar but too many of the campgrounds I want to camp in are very wooded with out direct sunlight. I can't afford having a dead battery with the C-PAP.

Al
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #17
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Generator usage

I use an older Honda Generator, 650 watt weighing about 45 lbs. The newer EU1000, at only 29 lbs., makes a big difference lifting it out of the tow vehicle.

On our last camping trip to Moab, Utah, a new rig valued at about $1.3 million parked next to me. They didn't show much interest in my TM trailer. They obviously had every convenience available. That is getting too carried away. But even the energy consuming appliances such as hair dryers, microwaves and toasters are going too far for me. We go camping to go camping. Even though we bought an AC we have rarely needed it where we go because we choose our places and seasons for mild weather.

Charging: Most of those generators, if not all, have 12 volt dc terminals. I made a little cable to go directly to the batteries for charging. Then I monitor the voltage to prevent overcharging. You can still plug something in to the AC power if needed within the limits of wattage of the generator.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #18
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Default Thanks RMR for the gen discourse!

f you boondock/drycamp in the mountains to avoid the RV madness, crowded/cramped campgrounds, buzz of the highway, your neighbors incessant generator roar, you know why many of us have gone solar.

Yes, I have been part of the 'vigilante force’ that 'advises' those that bring a contractors generator to power who-knows-what 16 hours a day where even radio reception is poor at best (and air-conditioning not required) to 'please' shut it down.

To be honest, I really don’t have a complaint with most of the previously mentioned Hondas if they are used at a reasonable hour. They really are quiet at low load. That magical time of BBQ, dinner, enjoying sunset and twilight with someone special, and a good glass of wine really sucks next to someone running even one of the quiet ones though.

If you are KOA Kamper next to the Interstate, blast away.

R_W

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote