TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Bruce

Default Boondocking is best

We have camped in our TM around the west, mid west and Canada for 3 months each summer of 2000 and 2001. We are getting ready to go out again from June to Sept this year, stopping at the TrailBlazer's Jubilee in Colorado Springs on the way.
We have camped in state parks, national parks and forests and private campgrounds. We are Passport America members which gives us 50% off at participating campgrounds. We try to find Passport campgrounds along our route which can take us to some places we might not have normally tried. We usually use private campgrounds as overnighters, preferring to stay in state parks or national forests with easy access to biking and hiking trails and beautiful vistas.
Sometimes we will camp outside a large city and take day trips in to explore museums, cultural attractions and restaurants. We are more likely to do this if the city has good public transportation so we do not have to deal with driving in a unfamiliar city. One year we camped in a county park about 50 miles outside Chicago and drove to the commuter train station 5 miles from the campground. We have also done this in Washington DC.
We really enjoy boondocking as long as the weather is not too hot & humid. I have mounted solar panels and extra batteries on our TM to power the water pump, lights, fan and radio/tv for as long as we want. My favorite camping experience would be a National Forest site with some elevation to keep the temperature down and with water and pit toilets available. National Parks are good but can often be crowded. We've spent some memorable times at Teton, Yellowstone and Olympic NPs and Canadian provincial parks.
The TM is a great trailer for slipping into those little campsites that the big rigs could never think of getting in.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
EMPTYNESTERS

Smile what type TMer R U?

We fall into the mostly weekend group. Prefer to have at least electric hook-ups, but can make do w/o. At this point it's just the two of us...the kids are grown and the grands are still little...and too far away for weekends. We camp mostly in private campgrounds or state parks, which here in Ohio usually have electric and water hook-ups and a dump station. We don't plan to go too far afield during the next few years, but then plan to use the TM for extended summer travel. Just a note...we're newbies to TM...have used our new 2720SD once (next trip out is Memorial Day weekend)...and it's luxury compared to our former camping units (two pop-ups, many tents, and a conversion van)! However, we've camped across the USA and Canada with (and w/o) our boys and have stayed in all types of campgrounds as well as city parks, rest areas, truck stops and, as active duty and now retired military (Army), on many military locations.
This was a fun idea - to share a little with the others on this forum! Happy TMing...and hope to see some of you on the road or in a campground somewhere!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
PopBeavers

We have had the TM for a year now. Have made 10 trips, all either weekends or 4 day weekends.

Sometimes just to camp. Sometimes to be the pit area for our son when he is racing mountain bikes. This weekend will be the 24 hours of adrenalin race. Two weeks ago was the collegiate Human Powered Vehicle race.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
sir1doc

thanks to all replies and keep em coming...

Empty Nesters, hope to see out and about in Ohio this season.

TexasCamper, I know what you mean about the rains.... I cancelled two weekends already and may cancel this one too... darn rain. But I may brave this one just for one night as I want to make sure I have everything operational before our Memorial trip which is rain or shine to go horsebacking in Indianna for 4 days.... I hope its nice then since I know we all are waiting to get underway and thats the big start up weekend.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

We tend to do the long weekend trips the most (3-4 nights).
Sometimes it's just the wife and me and sometimes the daughter and the 2 granddaughters will go. (Son-in law working his tail off) This summer we'll be going on a 2+ week 3000 mile trip. VA - KY- WI - MI- PA - VA
Camping in mostly state and national parks and forests, we do all the hookup / nonhookup scenarios. With the kids, we're loaded to the gills and without, we fall more into the backpacker mentality. We've done a lot of wilderness camping over the years and we won't get out of that mode ever, I hope.
I'm like the old hound dog in the pickup. So long as we're going, where ever we are going, I'm happy!!
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #16
Doug W.

1. We will use our for both long and weekend trips. We will do more weekend than long trips until we retire in about 9 years. We do plan on taking it to Yellowstone later this year or next year.

2. Our youngest is almost 21 and still at home, so it is mainly the two of us. We are doing a family canoe trip on Memorial Day with my brothers and families. Both sons and girlfriends are going with us, so the 3124KS and conversion van beds will not be enough, so we will take a tent also.

3. We will mainly camp with full hookups or at least water and electric. We do plan to do some boondock camping in the National Scenic Waterways in Missouri though also.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #17
91whitetc

Default Just Curious

Only had the TM since Feb. and have been doing nothing but upgrading things and getting it ready. I will be giving up work early next year and little lady and I are just planning on hitting the road with the TM in tow. Will be in parks most of the time but just seeing the USA. Plan to travel for about a year unless one of us really gets enough before that. Looking for a place to build a new home and enjoy the grandkids. After we find the place we will park the TM and watch the new home go up. Will keep everyone posted as we plan on showing everyone that a Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L with all the right equipment can tow the 2720SL.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
calypso

We only use our TM from June-Sept. and usually do 2-nighters whenever we can fit them in. We have a group of families that all camp together which is nice as it keeps the kids entertained (all middle-school aged) while the parents relax a bit. We "rough it" about 90% of the time with no hook-ups at State Parks. I'm sure we would go for full hook-ups if we went on a longer trip.