TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

On the roof of the TM? It is not clear that the roof structure is strong/stiff enough to accomodate a rack and a couple bikes. Depends on how you mount it all. And of course you would have to remove the bikes before opening the shells, because the torsion bars are adjusted for the weight of the shell without bikes.

On the other hand, people have mounted several solar panels on the roof(s), with no apparent ill effects. Look for a post by RockyMtnRay in the Solar Power forum. As I recall, he mounted 2 panels, which totalled about 50 pounds. Of course, they are permanent, so he readjusted the torsion bars to accomodate their weight.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Scott O

We have very high quality (ie expensive!) road bikes. I will not carry them on the back of anything due to the amount dirt and dust being blown up behind the vehicle. Should you decide to do this I would really recommend some sort of cover, either bought or made. I carry ours in the bed of the truck. If this is not an option, I would check out the racks mentioned that might go in front of the trailer. I am assuming that a Yakima type rack cannot be used on the roof, although even if it could it would come with its own set of problems, like bugs and other flying stuff. Let us know what you decide to do...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default Bike Rack

I have a bike rack that attatches to the tailgate of my van. I havn't used it with the TM hooked up yet, but you attatch it with straps that have metal clips on the top, bottom, and sides. This kind of bike rack is easy to put on, easy to put the bikes on (they attatch with rubber snaps to the metal arm of the rack), take the bikes off, and take the bike rack off. The bike rack sticks out 24" from the tailgate.

I am hoping that this bike rack won't interfere with anything when the TM is attatched. You can raise or lower the bikes by tightening the top strap. I will post a pic of the bike rack when I get it out of the garage.

Something else to be concerned with, using this kind of bike rack will raise the tongue weight (weight behind the axle) by the weight of the bike rack and the weight of the bikes (I believe).

Maybe this helps?
S_&_L_Family_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote