TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
larsdennert

Good reading there. I was at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had these little battery operated LED stickup lights for a couple of dollars each. They have a reflector and are much brighter than I expected. I was going to use them as night lights in the TM. 100hours run time on 3 AAA's. They might work as regular lighting but they are pretty focused like a wide flashlight.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #12
retiredgoat

Lightbulb LED light replacements

Hi All,

I've looked hi and low for an direct replacement for the incandescent lights in the vents(ceiling) and I purchased this one and modified the light and holder to work in the TM.

Now don't go putting in any LED lights until you've made sure your power converter is putting out filtered DC. If you don't fix this first you will blow the LED lights out real quick (in weeks) due to an AC wave riding on top of the DC wave. MY signature shows the fix I came up with.

I went to LEDlights.com and purchased: LED Tube Light 12 VDC
34563. Available in 6", 12", 24" and 48" lengths. 140 Lumens per foot, 560 Lumens for 48" length. 12, 24, 48, and 96 Super Flux LED Lights.

I wired it in and made a make shift holder for each side until I can get back to it to get fancy.

I have the day light bright superflux and wow it alone is enough to work in the camper at night.

No I don't have pictures yet but soon.

Good Luck and
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The link doesn't work. It should be

www.LEDlight.com.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
larsdennert

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgoat View Post
Hi All,

I've looked hi and low for an direct replacement for the incandescent lights in the vents(ceiling) ...
Camping world. $5.99ea
Old 12-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Well, I've been having electrical problems...

Yesterday the electric door locks in my car went haywire. After locking the doors, they started unlocking themselves. If I used the power button on the door, the remote, or just manually locked one lock, they would immediately unlock themselves (all of them). So I couldn't lock my car.

Then my phone charger died. The fuse is still good, the red light is on, but it doesn't have any 12V coming through.

Then, today, I put in my new light. It took quite a while to get it properly mounted, I hooked up the wires and tested the light before I finalized the mounting, and then I finished up the installation and boy howdy did it look nice in the vent. I turned it on and off a couple of times, it worked fine, and then I went back inside the house. When I came back out it was off. So I'm thinking, did I leave it on? Yes, I did, the switch was on, and the converter was on. The other fluorescent lights on the circuit (I had previously changed out both of them) worked fine. I took one of the bulbs out of the new light and put it into the other light fixture and it worked fine. I uninstalled the light and checked the voltage at the lead wires, it was fine. So, I'm thinking, what happened?

Plus, my neighbor came down to thank me for feeding her horses and her dogs while she was on vacation, and when she was on her way home her Australian Shepherd (he's such a cool dog, so agile and smart) started bugging the horses, and I heard this loud kind of a horse thump, he must have been kicked really hard (that was a scary sound), and started yelping in horrible pain, but she was already up the hill and he did manage to run up the hill limping.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Well, the neighbor's dog is OK, and our light fixture is on its way back to Thin-Lite for repair/replacement. I emailed the place I bought it from and they said that it sounded like the inverter/ballast went bad.

It shouldn't take long to put it back in since I've got the holes drilled and a backing on the vent screen to hold it in place.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

The ongoing saga of my fluorescent light continues.

The light arrived back from Thin-Lite. I went out to the TM to put it in, but decided that instead of going through the hassle of putting it in and it not working, I'd test it first.

I hooked it up to our auxiliary (not installed in the TM) 12V battery, turned it on and starting taking the hatch apart. After I took off the crank handle and two of the screws out of the hatch, the light went out and it won't go back on.

So I'm going to ship it back to Thin-Lite (again). I don't know what the problem is.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

B&D -

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - I've always had good luck with Thin-Lite products. I've got a couple spare single-tube model 111 Thin-Lites. You can have one or two for the cost of postage. PM me ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the offer Bill! I looked and looked until I found this light - it's 16 watts and fits perfectly into the hatch area. I just need to get one that WORKS. We've installed two other Thin-Lites and they were trouble free.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
BobRederick

B&D,
May I suggest the obvious? Is the battery charged sufficiently?