TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
MT Camper

Good to know that there is nothing in the wall that will get cut, like wires/water line. I hope to get this done maybe next spring. I have had the cassette in the past and absolutely love it over the one I have now. I bought a camper with a bathroom and potty for full use so cassette is the way to go for us.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted removing the old one and now installing the cassette. I'll be able to install the new one since it has been done and no surprises were found.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
moaboy

Fantastic job TMM. What do you think the total cost of this retooling was?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #23
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Fantastic job TMM. What do you think the total cost of this retooling was?
Thanks it came out great !

More than your refrigerator, less than your generator! Actual with freight and misc. it totaled $ 693.35. I also ordered an additional cassette tank as an extra and it was $105 delivered, not cheap for sure but what I wanted .

I'm happy but I realize it isn't for everyone. Anyone know the cost as a factory option? I also plan to sell my original for cheap and recover about two cents!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That is a really nice installation. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Having said that, I really REALLY hope that all the enthusiasm about cassette toilets doesn't lead TM to withdraw the Electra-Magic from their trailers. For me, that would be unacceptable, and I'm getting too old (lazy?) to remove the cassette toilet and replace it with an Electra-Magic!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Bill have you had a cassette? I know I was not a believer in the Cassette until I had one and it's now our preferred camper toilet. Very little water usage, clean dumping operations, dump it in any toilet. It has about the same smell when you flush as a TT black water tank toilet.

The TM recirculating toilet is working for us, so I don't see us ever justifying and conversion.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #26
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
That is a really nice installation. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Having said that, I really REALLY hope that all the enthusiasm about cassette toilets doesn't lead TM to withdraw the Electra-Magic from their trailers. For me, that would be unacceptable, and I'm getting too old (lazy?) to remove the cassette toilet and replace it with an Electra-Magic!

Bill
Thanks Bill, if the standard TM toilet had a valve to close off when not in use it would be perfect, I just didn't like being able to see things! The concept is great but why didn't Thetfort install a valve to "open and close" ? To me it was close to an out house, just my opinion. Now the potential smell, chemical or otherwise is closed off in my bathroom so no odor until you flush, then it is momentary.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We've never had a problem, smell or otherwise, with the toilet, so I've never tried to devise a fix. But it continues to amaze me that people will pay $1000 or so for a new toilet, and invest days of labor, to make a change.

Most of the time, the stated reason for replacing the toilet is to eliminate smell. However, for a cost of between $20 and $75, and a couple hours of labor, you can install a small powered vent to pull air directly out of the toilet tank and expel it outside. Because the toilet tank is small, you don't need to move much air, and a tiny fan will do the job. A tiny fan (less than 2" square) costs less than $5, is virtually silent, and draws about 0.1 amp from the battery. (That is a tiny battery drain, but if it is of concern, a pair of 6-volt lantern batteries, or a stack of 8 flashlight batteries, will run the fan 24/7 for about 5 days.) Add a fistful of PVC fittings (maybe another $5), and you are there.

For those who don't like building things, there are commercial fan-vents such as the L'il Stanker ($55). Using one of these gets you up into the $75 total cost range. You still have to install it, but it isn't complicated.

TM puts in a noisy bathroom vent fan that is intended to vent the entire bathroom. Most of the time it should be sufficient to simply vent the toilet tank. Much smaller, easier, and quieter.

For people who don't like the Thetford for other reasons, replacement may make sense. If the concern is smell, though - well, I don't get it. But that is just me.

Bill

One of our members put in a L'il Stanker. His report, plus a good discussion involving many members, as well as links to other material, is here.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11708
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

It seems many on here only use it for number 1, what is the reason?
I've said before not for everyone but for me it is way better!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #29
moaboy

While I don't have a problem with my Thetford, I have to admit I'd probably choose the cassette if given the choice. We used and I still have the sears porta potti when we had a vw pop top camper. Simple, easy to use and dump and would eliminate some plumbing.
Hey TMM I am really impressed with the hole u cut and the molding u fashioned around it. Looks like a factory job.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #30
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Smile

Cheap alternative Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	10392