TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #21
Glenn in TN

I'm one of those guys who has an old TM with the fold down stablizer ratcheting jacks. I want to upgrade to some scizzor jacks. Would I mount them on the corners where the old jacks are or directly to the frame?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
Jubolo

I can not answer your question, however!!

Go to an auto salvage yard and pick out 4 of the same identical auto scissor jacks, cost about $10.00 total for all 4!!!!

I did that for my last camper!! Worked great!!!

Fred
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #23
Glenn in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubolo View Post
I can not answer your question, however!!

Go to an auto salvage yard and pick out 4 of the same identical auto scissor jacks, cost about $10.00 total for all 4!!!!

I did that for my last camper!! Worked great!!!

Fred
I had that thought. My Chevy truck scizzor jack is pretty substantial. If I could get 4 of them, I think I would be good to go!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Glenn -

On the current TM's, the jacks are hung on the frame rails. They are bolted on, using big hex-head self-tapping bolts. You would need to drill some holes in the rails to accept these bolts.

Unlike the old fold-down stabilizers, the new scissors jacks have so much lift capacity (5000 pounds each) that you could easily punch one right up through the body.

That being said, if you mounted the new jacks at the old locations, and were careful to use them only as stabilizers (not lifting jacks), you could probably get away with it.

By the way, new jacks from Liftco (part number 945000.B01) are $40 each direct from Liftco in Indiana. Why do I happen to know this? I caught one on a rocky back road last week, bent it badly, and have ordered a new one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #25
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn in TN View Post
I'm one of those guys who has an old TM with the fold down stablizer ratcheting jacks. I want to upgrade to some scizzor jacks. Would I mount them on the corners where the old jacks are or directly to the frame?
Glenn,
Mount them to the steel frame. Your existing stabilizers are mounted to the perimeter wood frame of the floor and that will not support the full weight of the TM. I found this out when I pulled my first TM into (through) a ditch and pulled the left front stabilizer off of the TM. As a repair, I had the dealer put 4 new scissors jacks on the steel frame.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
hingarfi

Default Adjusting Brake Shoes

This is probably not the best thread to post this so I apologize up front. (Could not find a thread on shoe adjustment)
If you are a new owner and have not adjusted the brake shoes, this may help. I assume you know how to adjust these brakes shoes by turning the STAR wheel with a screwdriver. (like 1950's cars) The wheel must be jacked up and turning freely so that you can tell when the shoes are snug. If you jack up the wheels with an appropriate jack, you may find the jack blocking access to the adjustment slot. Having read somewhere on this forum that the scissor jacks (on recent Trailmanors at least) are capable of lifting a wheel off the ground, that is what I did. Obviously, you must be sure that the TM can not roll off by using appropriate chocks. I slacked off the jacks on the opposite side and the front leveling jack. Next I alternately raised the other two jacks to lift the wheel clear of the ground. These jacks have MAX lifting thrust as they reach maximum extension so do not use blocks under the jacks. My unit has the 2" lift kit and the jacks still lifted the wheel clear. To tighten the shoes, pry the STAR wheel teeth upward i.e. the screwdriver handle goes towards the ground. Hope this helps those who have not enjoyed this little task.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #27

Has anyone heard of a cordless drill that can be chargd from the TV 12V cigarette lighter?
tt
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #28
Maine Jeff

Default I'm sure they exist,

butI just carry a small inverter (300W I think) in my TV. They are pretty inexpensive and then you can use it to charge all of your small appliances.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like MaineJeff, I carry a 300 watt Vector inverter. When I need to charge the drill battery, I plug the inverter into the car's cig lighter and charge the battery while I drive around during the day. Before I bought the inverter, I carried an extra drill battery - but an extra battery is a good deal more expensive than an inverter. There is no need to buy a fancy inverter - mine is a cheap modified-sine-wave type, and the drill's charger is perfectly happy.

It appears that Vector Manufacturing has been bought by Black and Decker, and according to their web site, a 100-watt inverter (sufficient for charging batteries for your drill, cell phones, ipods, etc, but not for running a laptop) would cost $20.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #30
Scott O

The folks with an '05 Tacoma or newer have an inverter outlet in the bed of the truck. One of the coolest ideas ever, but I have yet to find a use for it, except maybe to make popcorn or margaritas when away from electrical outlets!