TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
ThePair, I too am keeping my Electra-Magic. I DO, however, have an extensively "used" vinyl skirt that may be up for sale soon!
Sorry, but I won't in the line to purchase your old vinyl skirt, but I do have a question for you. Are you talking about the item that is pictured at this link:

http://www.statetrailer.com/images/i...74025700_z.jpg

I don't see a place for a rubber band on this item. I thought you were removing something that when I look down into the toilet it looks like a big guitar pick that slides back to empty the toilet, but I must be confused.

TIA
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
davlin
TrailManor Master

Jim,

You have the correct picture of the vinyl skirt. The yellow item you see in the photo is the rubber band. The vinyl is actually sealed around it, but it's just a rubber band.

The skirt is shown as item #2A in the parts diagram. http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/P...8/Default.aspx It connects to the bottom of the toilet bowl. It has nothing to do with the slide valve, which is shown as part #8.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
ThePair, I too am keeping my Electra-Magic. I DO, however, have an extensively "used" vinyl skirt that may be up for sale soon!
Let's have an auction!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Let's have an auction!

Dave
Good idea! If we want to make any real money on it though, it will probably be best NOT to publish an actual picture of it.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
TravlinOn

Quote:
Jim,

You have the correct picture of the vinyl skirt. The yellow item you see in the photo is the rubber band. The vinyl is actually sealed around it, but it's just a rubber band.

The skirt is shown as item #2A in the parts diagram. http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/P...8/Default.aspx It connects to the bottom of the toilet bowl. It has nothing to do with the slide valve, which is shown as part #8.

Dave
Thanks Dave - guess I need to refresh my toilet understanding on the subject
Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
davlin
TrailManor Master

Just returned from a full week's usage of the Thetford without the skirt. Loved it. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that as the toilet begins to fill, you can see the toilet paper (it floats) if you look into the chute where the bowl empties. In my opinion, this is not as bad as looking at the dirty vinyl skirt. There were no odor issues, and everything flushed much easier. Going to remain "skirtless."
Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
MT Camper

Default Glad I found this post

New to TM & I am glad I read all this info because I never even knew the skirt was there. That skirt is realy pretty gross. It can't be cleaned and would be very unsanitary. I am going to remove it and I am thinking of a way to make a splash guard for the toilet bowl if having to travel with liquids, even for a short distance. If anyone has one designed would they share. Thanks for all the info.
MT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Camper View Post
New to TM & I am glad I read all this info because I never even knew the skirt was there. That skirt is realy pretty gross. It can't be cleaned and would be very unsanitary. I am going to remove it and I am thinking of a way to make a splash guard for the toilet bowl if having to travel with liquids, even for a short distance. If anyone has one designed would they share. Thanks for all the info.
ShrimpBurrito designed what looked like a good one. His initial tests were very promising. I don't know if you can access his past threads on the subject as a trial member. My recommendation is to pay the membership fee ($12). It will be the best money you've ever spent!

My plan is to design a fitted "plug" that goes into the bowl chute if I ever have to travel with liquids it the toilet. It hasn't been a hot project for me, though, since I currently can't envision one of our camping experiences where we couldn't dump before we left.

Dave
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Mt & Dave--I took the top off the 'ole thetford, cut some heavy vinyl, and attached it with a hose clamp (SB has that unit now). It sorta helped, but not so well if I traveled really bumpy roads with more than half a tank. And it was not possible to clean the flapper. So then I had the same idea as Dave, but what do you do with a stinky plug when removed? So my final idea was to cover the half-moon shaped opening with saran wrap, then hold it in place with something like a tube sock filled with sand, or a balloon filled with water...? Then you could throw away the saran wrap each time. Might help block smell too. Never got around to trying it tho.

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
davlin
TrailManor Master

Like the thoughts on the stopper, Wayne. Tackling this engineering problem is way worth effort, because the toilet works so much better without the skirt!