TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #81
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Guys, you are rehashing an issue that was put to bed a couple years ago. The problem, when it occurs, is a problem with the size of the charge wire in the tow vehicle, not the TM. The wires in the TM are #10, as is proper. The wires in certain tow vehicles, including both of my Explorers, are smaller and are interrupted with many harness connectors, each of which adds a small amount of resistance.

In both of my 2720SLs, the battery is in the back - that is not unique to the 3326. And in both of them, the refrig discharged the TM battery while driving. I got the wiring manual for my 2002 Explorer. It shows many runs of #12 wire, and one short run of #14 wire, all routed through at least 6 sets of harness connectors. I ran a new pair of #10 wires, power and ground, the entire length of the Explorer, with no connectors, and the problem was solved.

The same situation is present in my 2007 Explorer.

Others have reported the same experience.

It is also worth noting that in every TM I have examined or heard about, the cable from the Bargman connector on the tow vehicle runs past the hitch area, to a distribution box under the kitchen sink. From there, the charge wire runs forward to the battery when the battery is located on the tongue, and backward to the battery when it is located in the back. There is virtually no difference in overall wire length between forward-mounted and rear-mounted battery setups.

This discussion belongs in either the Electrical section or the Appliances section. I'll wait a few days for final comments to come in, and then move it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #82
AngsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The only reason to run the fridge on 12 volts is when towing. When parked I use 120 volts if I have shore power. Otherwise I use propane. Sometimes I cheat. If I close the TM down at home before a trip I set it on 12 volts and plug in to shore power. That way I do not need to pop it open to switch from 120 volts to 12 volts.

We open our fridge often. At least twice for each meal. Once to take stuff out and again later to put it back.

I keep my beverages on ice. I like them very cold.

If there is any space left in the freezer compartment I fill it with Otter Pops. Sometimes I eat them on hot days. Sometimes they just sit there filling the void and helping to keep the temperature stable. If they melt it does not make a mess. A big box from Costco lasts a year. If there are young children around then I am their friend.

I run the TM fridge fan on very hot days (85+), but only during the heat of the day.

I have a battery operated fridge fan inside the fridge to keep the air moving around.
My 1999 2720 cannot be plugged in when the rear shell is down. Is ther another way to plug into shore power when closed? A mod. maybe?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #83
Sue_Wilkinson

Default Kids can open and close it.

My daughter and her friend who was 11 and 12 were able to open and close a trail mannor by their selfs
Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #84
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngsGuy View Post
My 1999 2720 cannot be plugged in when the rear shell is down. Is ther another way to plug into shore power when closed? A mod. maybe?
I almost hate to say this but......we never put our power-cord all the way back in it's cubby-hole. We leave the last 3' or so sticking out. When the roof is closed, the cord is always exposed (about 6" to 1'). I've been doing this for 2 years now and have not had an issue. That doesn't mean that something couldn't happen....... I just can't imagine what it might be.

When I want to plug in with the roof closed, I just use a 25', 12G extension cord.

A mod that I have considered is putting a 30A outdoor outlet on the under-side TM. I would then disconnect the current power cord and put a male connector on the end that I disconnect. I would carry the power cord in my truck instead of storing it in the trailer. That would also open up some additional trailer storage space......

Of course, this one would need some sort of spring-loaded cover to keep the dirt out while towing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leviton-RV-Recep...efaultDomain_0

Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #85
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngsGuy View Post
Yes, the mod has been discussed here and is very easy. Here is what I did.
  1. Push the plug through the its "storage hole" in the wall till it is all the way inside the TM and not visible from the outside.
  2. In the rear compartment, you can see the long black pigtail all coiled up. Find the plug, and pull it into the compartment.
  3. Next, buy an outdoor 12 AWG extension cord (relatively short, no more than 25') and a replacement cord outlet that looks something like this:

4. Buy a short piece (6" or so) of tubing with an ID about the same size as the OD of the extension cord.
  5. Drill a hole in the floor in the rear compartment such that it enters the under-bumper storage compartment and insert the 6" tubing into hole.
  6. Cut the outlet end of the extension cord off, and feed the cut end up from the bumper storage compartment, through the tubing, and into the rear compartment.
  7. Attach the replacement cord outlet to the cut end of the wire.
  8. Using a 30A-15A adapter, plug the TM pigtail into the replacement cord outlet.
  9. Store the replacement cord in the bumper storage compartment and use it in place of the TM pigtail.

The only disadvantage of the mod is that:

1) You cannot use the AC or any other high current devices (coffee maker, toaster, hair dryer, etc.) with this setup; and

2) every time you are somewhere you want to use the AC or any high current devices, you need to unplug the TM pigtail from the your new extension cord and plug the TM pigtail directly into the campground outlet just as you do now. You can snake the pigtail out the door or back through the access hole to do it.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #86
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
A mod that I have considered is putting a 30A outdoor outlet on the under-side TM. I would then disconnect the current power cord and put a male connector on the end that I disconnect. I would carry the power cord in my truck instead of storing it in the trailer. That would also open up some additional trailer storage space......
If you choose to do this, I would suggest you using some sort of recessed male outlet for the TM side instead of your proposed female outlet.
I think Airstreams connect their pigtails like this....I think I've seen them use Marinco connectors, which I'm sure you've seen on sailboats.

Something like these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10542
(which I presume is 30A, but I would verify)

Otherwise, you will have a hot male plug if you ever unplug the TM side first, which would be a major safety hazard. I personally would never trust my memory to unplug the campground side first, but even if I did, there's no way I could positively make someone else from doing it and possibly making a fatal mistake. Another scenario: you trip on the cord after slipping on wet grass, unplugging the cord from the TM outlet and it falls in the wet grass and fries you like a catfish.

Dave
Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #87
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
If you choose to do this, I would suggest you using some sort of recessed male outlet for the TM side instead of your proposed female outlet.
I think Airstreams connect their pigtails like this....I think I've seen them use Marinco connectors, which I'm sure you've seen on sailboats.

Something like these:
(which I presume is 30A, but I would verify)

Otherwise, you will have a hot male plug if you ever unplug the TM side first, which would be a major safety hazard. I personally would never trust my memory to unplug the campground side first, but even if I did, there's no way I could positively make someone else from doing it and possibly making a fatal mistake. Another scenario: you trip on the cord after slipping on wet grass, unplugging the cord from the TM outlet and it falls in the wet grass and fries you like a catfish.

Dave

Good point.....I actually grabbed the wrong picture but now that I did, it made a good discussion. My intention (if I ever do it) is to have my TM 30A cord to be able to double as an extension cord.

The Marinco locking set-ups are very expensive (~$200).
Old 08-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #88
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
The Marinco locking set-ups are very expensive (~$200).
You might be able to work with this Marinco kit, and it's only $100 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mari.../dp/B000NUYZQC

http://www.marinco.com/files/support...als/200781.pdf

Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #89
cochise

Default A big no-no

NEVER EVER HAVE A CORD WITH MALE PLUGS AT BOTH ENDS! It is not only a huge hazard, it is also a code violation. If anything happens, insurance will probably not cover, and there could be a huge liability problem.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #90
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

An easy way is to go to the hardware store and buy an air conditioner extension cord. They are about 3 feet long, made with #12 or #14 wires (plenty heavy enough), and - the secret - they are flat and they have a right-angle connector on one end. Connect your 30-amp trailer connector to a 30-to-20 amp adapter and push it back into the mousehole. Plug the airco extension cord into it, and let it hang down between the shells and out the bottom. Add a regular household extension cord, plugged into a house outlet, and you're powered up.

Ace Hardware has one for about $9 - so do the big box stores.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote