TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Tampajohn

Default We feel like second class campers with our Trailmanor.

We have been on the road for over 3 month and will return to Florida, our home April 1st. We have stayed in a lot of Thousand Trails since leaving as zone members. We have found most RV's here are class A motor-homes or 5ers. We sometimes feel like second class campers in these campgrounds. I sense people kind of look down on use since we do not have a new class A. I will be first to agree that our TM is not as big and comfortable as the Class A, but our choice is not to have payments and enjoy the gas mileage. Several of these owners are full timers. I have talked to several that lost their homes in the decline of property prices. I guess I am not trying to defend our choice of campers, but it is a phenomenon that I really am kind of sensitive. There are a few Class C's that are really dumpy around us. I think they are almost homeless living in campgrounds. We just got back to Wilderness Lakes in Menifee, Ca. coming from Idllywild Thousand Trails which is in the mountains in California. There were very few class A's in the mountains probably since it was really difficult getting there in the mountains (elevation 7200 ft). While at Idllywild some lady came over and said we would love to have a TM, but they we much more expensive than our Coleman. Anyway I guess there is a pecking order everywhere you go. I am fortunate that this is a lifestyle that we have chosen and have a home to return to when ready. We are in California to see the kids and grandkids. We have not found this to be true in State Parks, but more in the resorts. Especially membership resorts like Thousand Trails. LA has very few campgrounds around it and we park about 80 miles east to keep the cost down. We have been in the LA area since Dec. 16 and it would get a bit pricy for that period of time at $60 per night. The Thousand Trails zone membership is only $525 per year and they do run specials.

Anyway we left Florida November 11, went to Michigan to visit kids and then to LA to visit the more kids. Will return to Florida April 1st. We have done pretty well in our TM considering the length of time on the road. I am proud of the wife, but she was motivated wanting to spend time with the grandkids. Friday, I get to watch the dogs while they all go to Knottsberry farms. I think I got the best end of that deal.

BTW, the Isuzu sure had its hands full trying to get up the mountains. I think I am going to move up to a V8 SUV. Looking at a Durango.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
ChillEDog

Hey I feel that way every time I drive through Highland Park.

When I first got my TM, I thought it was the bees' knees. First time we went camping (state park), we set up at night. Got up next morning, all these shiny new, monster campers around us made me go "hmmmm".

So its like that with a lot of things. But I still love the TM for what it is.

You should spend time in a tent campground, you'll be top dog for sure. <g>
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

One thing that you can count on, there will always be a bigger, better camper out there.

For us we live a modest life by choice. We don't feel like a second class camper. We also don't think anything about the person next to us in a tent or old popup.

Don't judge the book by the cover. If someone fells we're not good enough because of our book cover, so be it.

We have made a lot of great friends while camping, from tent campers to big class "A's". It is the pages in the book that are important.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Tampajohn

Art, I was raised just down the pike from you in Cedarville, Ohio. We were up in your neck of the woods at the Heisey Museum this past summer. We have a couple hundred piece of Pink Flamingo. Went to Ohio State, but did not graduate from there, Univ South Florida is my stompin ground. You talk about conservative, raised on farm bought in mid 1860's with my folks living through the depression. I am still that way and I know I drive people nuts. Just not one to go out and spend a lot. Know people who financed all they could in housing market and lost their home in the big drop a few years back. Anyway, maybe its is pride causing me to write that post. Not a good thing either. In three months on the road, we only ate out a handful of times. Healthy food and cheap might be motivator. Anyway thanks for the insight and keep them Buckeyes going. John

My brother lives in Lansing, Don't think we have some rivalry. Good family fun though.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

My trailer, like my house, is larger than some, smaller than most. But, it suits me fine. I don't need a house with more rooms than I use daily, nor do I need a TT or coach that costs more than my Grand Cherokee. I don't have lots of extra money lying around, unlike many with the bigger toys.

I don't worry about it. I also don't worry about the wind, either headwind or crosswind, nor get white-knuckled when a semi passes me. I like my efficient TM, and all the places it can go that, as you mentioned, John, the coaches and monster 5th-wheels can't get. It makes it much more peaceful my way.

I am grateful for what I have, and don't covet what I cannot have. Makes life more enjoyable that way. I know this is not the way our "leaders" want it, but I don't worry about those who make more than I do, or have more than I do. I don't feel they owe me anything. I have what I have earned, and some folks made more sacrifice in their lives to earn more than I have. So be it.

Actually, it is sometimes comical to look at our "rig" setting next to some of the monstrosities in rest areas and gas stations. Ours is much easier to drive and maintain.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We to have family in MI near Detroit and west of Brighton. It's not good idea call them when Ohio is playing either of the Michigan teams.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We all think it would be nice to have something that we consider as being nicer. But us conservative folks get by with what meets out needs.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
KHerfurt

Hey TampaJohn,

We just bought a TM 3326. I am old and retired. We just sold a pickup camper. The Trail Manor will be a big improvement for my wife. I miss the camper. I feel sorry for those folks that have lost their homes. I also feel sorry for those who bought a class "A" because they are paying monthly for the motorhome and for a place to park it. My TM fits in my driveway and I have a nice home in Evergreen, Colorado. The TM will be a nice compromise. It's about balance. . . how much do you want to pay for an RV and how much do you want a home.

If you want to come through Colorado on the way to Florida, I know some great places to camp with the TM. I would be glad to help

Best wishes for a wonderful trip back to Florida. You are welcome to stay a night in our driveway.
Firestone airbags
:new_popco
KHerfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

In the average state park we are solid middle class. There are the ginormous buses on one end of the bell curve and the tent campers on the other. The TM suits us and that's what matters.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Laura FM

I have camped in a lot less impressive rigs than my Trailmanor. Before that I had a high wall PUP and before that a 10 ft PUP.

I have never felt looked down on. Often I will talk to people with big rigs who look at my little pup with absolute love and nostalgia, because they one had one and missed it.

I was once in an RV park and this large class A moved in across the way - it dripped money. Apparently the owner was sort of famous - he races trucks for a living. Could not handle his rig though, he dumped his grey water on the ground, and stunk up the whole RV park. He kept setting his alarm off in the middle of the night. I was talking to the man next door to me. He had google the rig - he told me it was 1.5 million dollars. He said it made his half million dollar rig seem down market (I do hope he was joking). Then he said that this was his 7th RV, and his first was a pup. He missed it.

Inferior is something that other people make you feel, but it might not be as it seems.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ditto on what lovetocamp said:
A story about bigger........while camped at Riley Creek in Denali NP. Campsites are assigned by size A for big rigs B for small rigs.
We were sitting down at supper when there was a knock on the door of the pup we had at that time.
This lady from Texas asked if we would move our truck, which is in our site, so they could get their fivver into there site Went out and moved the truck up the road aways and then watched the antics. This guy made many passes with the big 1 ton dolly before finally backing the triple axle 5er into their site.
In doing so he missed the tongue of our pup by inches. When all done there was no room on their site to park the TV. This in a NP CG that is laid out better then most for big campers.

Another story..we have friends with a big 5er and dually TV. They live out of it in a resort CG and go nowhere because can not afford the fuel to travel.

We have had class C's, big TT, and pup's. We'll stick with the TM thank you

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote