TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Redhawk

Default Winterizing question

I searched the forum for past posts and read most of them on winterizing. My question is this...the TM manual describes draining everything, removing the heads and a little antifreeze in the sink traps (if you want) as winterizing. Nice and simple, I like it. But reading thru the posts here, people are pooring 3 gallons of antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pumping it thru the system. Is this really necessary? Why the big difference from the manual?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
rumbleweed

IMHO this is not necessary and makes opening in spring more work. The TM is set up very nicely for winterizing. If you open all faucets before opening all 4 drains under the TM everything should drain fine assuming TM is close to level. If you want to be extra sure, Close faucets leave drains open and connect shore water supply ( not water tank fill) to a compressor and blow air through the lines. CAUTION I would not exceed 20-25 psi. Don't forget to remove the kitchen sink spray head if you have one. I also leave both black and gray drains open a little just in case. Got to zero here last winter and no issues.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Al-n-Sue

I second rumbleweed - when we winterize we do as the manual states. The drains are designed to drain all the low spots in the system. The key is to have all the faucets open (kitchen, bath, shower - in and out). We typically open the drains before we leave the last campground and drain on the way home. The bouncing and varied terrain help clear out the last bit of water. Having the faucets open creates an opportunity for any remaining water to evaporate - and gives a bit of expansion space if it freezes.

I remove the kitchen faucet and take the shower hose off as well. They both just screw on so they are easy to remove.

We have single digit temps here in the winter and I've had no problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Digger

It gets well below zero here and I don’t use antifreeze. I have not had any problems with just draining when storing the TM. Don’t forget to remove both the inside and outside shower heads plus the sink sprayer and, be sure to drain the hot water tank. The only time I’ll use antifreeze is if I am going to be using the TM when it’s that cold, then I do use some of it. I’ll prime the toilet with 2 gal. of –40 windshield washer fluid, lots cheaper than RV antifreeze and works just as well and I’ll pour a gal or two down the sink drain to help keep the gray water tank and sewer valves from freezing, although I try not to use the sink drains.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
rumbleweed

One other suggestion. Make yourself a note of all the things you removed ( inside / outside shower head, sink sprayer etc. and leave it on the fridge or in kitchen sink. That way when you open in the spring and connect water you don't have any surprises. I do add about a cup or so of RV antifreeze to the toilet just in case a little water gets on top of the toilet slide valve while moving TM around. We also wet a piece of cotton in a glass ashtray soaked with peppermint oil and sit in the sink. This seems to keep out spiders and mice.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Redhawk

As usual, you guys are a lot of help. I also called the Car Show and they said to do the same as what you suggest. All they really added was to run the pump dry for 30 seconds or so. Thanks....
Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I never have to winterize, but when I want to drain the system I have noticed that keeping the front low helps drain the 40 gallon fresh tank under my front seats, and a drive around the block also helps bounce out some of the water that is hiding.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
P and B

The first year I winterized mine (it's in MA) I had the tub faucet freeze and crack so I now do what Bob (rumbleweed) does and blow the lines out with my compressor after draining everything. I put a cup or so of non-toxic antifreeze in all drains so any water in the traps don't freeze, expand and crack the pipes.

My personal feeling is that, if you live in an area where temps go below freezing (at all), best to overdo your winterizing since the kinds of repairs freezing issues cause are very expensive/time consuming.

Phil
Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
rumbleweed

Wayne
You should really consider adding a Marine watertight deck plate to the top of the water tank. It accomplishes two things .
1. You can open it and use a wet dry vac to totally drain it dry. This is very nice if storing for a while as the water will eventually grow mold.
2. It allows you to easily get your hand ( and arm) in to clean and sterilize the tank without having to run loads of water through it to flush it out. I have done this in my last few RVs and boats and it is my first mod. See Link below.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=12946
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
kenngeri2720

Bob,

Great idea, which size do you recommend?