TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
moneeleann

Default Torsion Bar Woes

Back again, with the same problems....

If any of you recall, I bought a used 2005 3023. Still love it to death. But it had problems with the roof and was really hard to lift in the front. We adjusted the bolts for the torsion bars, but the bolts for the awning side were maxed out.

I know that one of the previous owners let it sit with too much snow on top, which bowed the roof of the front shell. However, this is all repaired (although the dip is still there) now. As far as I can tell, there is no water trapped in the shell (nothing leaking anywhere inside or out, and I live in OK, where temps have been over 100, which should have evaporated anything out).

I spent much time on the phone with someone at The Car Show, and he determined that my front door side torsion bar needed replaced. Even though both bolts were bottomed out, he explained that the center one was only for assist, and once the front was replaced, the center would be fine.

So, I replaced the torsion bar on the front. Surprisingly, it was fairly easy to do. And wow, what a difference when just looking at the two bars side by side! The old one was definitely sprung! So, with everything back together, I can now lift it by myself. But, the center bar is still bottomed out on the bolt, and I have to really put everything I have into opening it. I am not exactly small..... But I have to lift, brace a leg on the box, and push/lift with everything I've got to get it open.

What do you all think? Does the center bar also need replaced? I think it does. When I open the latches, the front back side of the camper lifts up a bit. The front door side is a beast that barely moves. It is definitely a problem on that side. Opinions? I really want my camper to be something I can have more confidence with, as I travel by myself with my three small children during the summer months. If I'm really tired, I have a hard time lifting it still.