TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
JOEALAN

Default Stove metal grill removable?

August 16, 2008

It there a way to remove the metal grill over the gas burners on the top of the stove? It looks like they are secured in the two center holes. It would seem like that it would be removable for cleaning? Just more time consuming to run a dish rag through and around. Thanks. Joe.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Joe - you should be able to pop the whole top part of the stove up to get access to the nuts that hold the grill. This also give you access to the space around the burners to clean out any food that may have fallen there.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you are talking about the metal grill that the pots sit on when you are cooking. If so, the answer is this. (Expect minor differences between the Suburban and the Atwood stove.)

The four corners of the grill poke down through holes in the black enamel sheet metal stove top. This stovetop is hinged at the back, and the front can be lifted up. Before you can lift it, you must release the catch, which is at the front of the stovetop.

To release the catch, put the heels of your hands on the front edge of the stovetop, above the knobs, and push the stovetop back (toward the wall). It may stick at first, but just push it a bit harder. When it has moved back half an inch, you can lift the front edge of the stovetop. Once it is up, you can see the retainer clips on the four corners of the grill.

A picture would help, wouldn't it? Do you have the manual for the stove/oven? It is in the blue notebook of papers that was in the TM when it left the factory. There is a good picture in there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

These photos may help:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=168

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=167

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Mine was so tight when it was new that I could not get it open for fear of breaking something.

When I took it in to the the dealer for a couple of minor issues, I had them show me how. Even they had a tough time.

For a long time the front two clips were off. This allowed lifting the grate up. That made it easier to clean.

Now all clips are broken and the entire grate comes off. It even bounces off while towing.

I am tempted to drill a very small hole in the two rear legs and use a cotter pin. I like being able to hinge it up for cleaning, but I don't like having to remember to store it on the floor while towing.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Now all clips are broken and the entire grate comes off. It even bounces off while towing. I am tempted to drill a very small hole in the two rear legs and use a cotter pin. I like being able to hinge it up for cleaning, but I don't like having to remember to store it on the floor while towing.
Funny you should mention that, Wayne. I was in the same situation, and I dislike having the grate end up on the floor. As a result, I ended up drilling two holes in a pair of diagonally-opposite legs and installing cotter pins. Works great.

The Suburban stoves may have the legs in the middle, as shown in Commodor47's photo, but the principle should be the same.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
August 16, 2008

It there a way to remove the metal grill over the gas burners on the top of the stove? It looks like they are secured in the two center holes. It would seem like that it would be removable for cleaning? Just more time consuming to run a dish rag through and around. Thanks. Joe.
Sounds like you have a Suburban stovetop like we do. And you are right, it is much easier to clean the stovetop without the grate in place. Just pop up the black metal stovetop at the front (just above the oven door). You should be able to do this with just your fingers, but if not use a wide bladed screw driver wrapped in a cloth or dishtowel so as not to scratch the stove's paint. The stovetop is hinged at the back. When raised you will see two clips - one either side of the now raised stovetop. Just squeeze them and pull down. The grate will now be free to remove. After cleaning just reverse the process.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Joe - you should be able to pop the whole top part of the stove up to get access to the nuts that hold the grill. This also give you access to the space around the burners to clean out any food that may have fallen there.

Thanks! JOE
Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
JOEALAN

Thank you. That really did help. JOE
Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
jferrarello

Default Stove grate on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Funny you should mention that, Wayne. I was in the same situation, and I dislike having the grate end up on the floor. As a result, I ended up drilling two holes in a pair of diagonally-opposite legs and installing cotter pins. Works great.

The Suburban stoves may have the legs in the middle, as shown in Commodor47's photo, but the principle should be the same.

Bill
We took the path of least resistance (meaning no tools required) and simply hold down the grate with a short bungee cord, one end hooked to the slots in the stovetop behind the burners and the other end to the oven door handle.