TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

CeeWoo -

Did you have a chance to read the tutorial on this topic in the Tech Library? In that document, the question of releasing the gun from the zerk came up, and it was pointed out by one of our members that the nozzle on the tip of the grease gun, where it pops over the zerk, can be rotated! And when you rotate it one way, it tightens the grip on the zerk - rotating the other way loosens the grip. Who knew? I certainly didn't.

Anyway, you can rotate the nozzle to a point that it is easy to release, but not so loose that it leaks or falls off.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
CeeWoo

Damn! I missed that, but at least now I've found it and it should make my 'topping off' the grease project easier.

Thanks Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
CeeWoo -

Did you have a chance to read the tutorial on this topic in the Tech Library? In that document, the question of releasing the gun from the zerk came up, and it was pointed out by one of our members that the nozzle on the tip of the grease gun, where it pops over the zerk, can be rotated! And when you rotate it one way, it tightens the grip on the zerk - rotating the other way loosens the grip. Who knew? I certainly didn't.

Anyway, you can rotate the nozzle to a point that it is easy to release, but not so loose that it leaks or falls off.

Bill
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
brulaz

Did this a month ago using Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. Not the cheapest but the only one I could find in Dexter's recommended list.

But the stuff is PINK. Makes it real easy to see when the new pink stuff is coming out. And I too used about a half tube per bearing.

Later I discovered one of the grease seals was leaking, so had to take apart the wheel. Looked at the bearings and noticed that the new grease really hadn't got into the bearing, just all around it. But the trailer hadn't been driven at all since the grease job. I imagine that after a few miles on the road the new grease would get into the bearing mixing it up with the little bit of old stuff that was still in there. But I cleaned and re-packed the bearing anyway.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
moaboy

Bill,
Yes thanks for reminding us of that. I too had missed it.
Guess I should go back thru the tech library and peruse a few shelves...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Did this a month ago using Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. Not the cheapest but the only one I could find in Dexter's recommended list.

Later I discovered one of the grease seals was leaking, so had to take apart the wheel. Looked at the bearings and noticed that the new grease really hadn't got into the bearing, just all around it. .
So that makes me wonder if the ez lube system is really doing what it needs to do to protect the bearings. The local dealer (The Car Show) recommends NOT using the grease zerk and always pulling the wheels and repacking the bearings the old fashion way. I pay $75. every 2 years to have them done manually. It may not be needed???? But is good peace of mind.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
CeeWoo

OK-now I'm worried. How did you discover didn't get into the bearing?
(oh, I used 'pink' as well...until a couple days ago, I didn't know it existed )

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
But the stuff is PINK. Makes it real easy to see when the new pink stuff is coming out. And I too used about a half tube per bearing.

Later I discovered one of the grease seals was leaking, so had to take apart the wheel. Looked at the bearings and noticed that the new grease really hadn't got into the bearing, just all around it. But the trailer hadn't been driven at all since the grease job. I imagine that after a few miles on the road the new grease would get into the bearing mixing it up with the little bit of old stuff that was still in there. But I cleaned and re-packed the bearing anyway.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeWoo View Post
OK-now I'm worried. How did you discover didn't get into the bearing?
(oh, I used 'pink' as well...until a couple days ago, I didn't know it existed )
The reason I noticed is that I had greased the hubs the EZ-Lube way, and then later replaced my brakes with the self-adjusting kind. The trailer hadn't moved in between, and the outer bearing dropped out when pulling a hub to replace the brakes.

Again, I suspect the new grease does eventually get into the bearing after driving it around for awhile, mixing with and eventually replacing the old grease. But I haven't really checked to see. I'm just trusting that it works as advertised.

You can pull the hub and get at the outer bearing easily to check. But to get at the inner bearing you have to pull (with a claw hammer and destroy) the grease seal.

Dexter says the seal should be replaced every time you pull the hub. A lot of times people don't though, especially if it's a newer seal. Just be careful.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
CeeWoo

thanks! good info
Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
PopBeavers

I grease the bearings myself in the spring. I use the zerk fitting that is in the hub. I use a hand gun and apply pressure slowly. Many people on other forums report that anything more than slow steady pressure runs the risk of blowing out the seal.

Every other year I remove the bearing and have it inspected. The bearing is then hand packed and the seals replaced.

The second inspection, year 4, showed signs of wear so I replaced the bearings and seals.