TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Hail Damage! &$@#$!

Went to pick up the TM this afternoon for a camping trip. There were a lot more people at the storage area then usual, I soon found out why. There had been a bad hail storm. It's only about 10 miles from the house, but we got no hail and they got blasted. Lots of campers with broken windows, vents, etc.

I keep mine covered and was hoping for the best, but no luck, the roof is damaged pretty bad. There are also about 40 holes in the Adco cover. The one good thing was that since the AC unit raises the cover so it doesn't lay flat on the solar panel, the panel was fine. I have the vent covers over my vents, so that saved them. All the windows were fine too. Like others on this site I take a lot of pride in trying to keep the TM as nice as I can. So you can imagine how disappointing this is.

I'll call Progressive in the morning to see what the deal is. Has anyone else been thru this? Any pointers or info? Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

My brother-in-law had this happen to his motorhome a couple weeks ago. He's in Colorado just east of Denver. He has to have his entire roof replaced! He also has Progressive and things are going OK for him as of our last communication with him.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Scott O

Just had a thought and I don't know if it would help, but if I had to store my TM outside I think that I would put a large piece of foam under the cover on top. Hail damage seems to be pretty common. Nothing much you can do when camping, but a pad might just help if in storage. Sorry for your damage.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Went to pick up the TM this afternoon for a camping trip. There were a lot more people at the storage area then usual, I soon found out why. There had been a bad hail storm. It's only about 10 miles from the house, but we got no hail and they got blasted. Lots of campers with broken windows, vents, etc.

I keep mine covered and was hoping for the best, but no luck, the roof is damaged pretty bad. There are also about 40 holes in the Adco cover. The one good thing was that since the AC unit raises the cover so it doesn't lay flat on the solar panel, the panel was fine. I have the vent covers over my vents, so that saved them. All the windows were fine too. Like others on this site I take a lot of pride in trying to keep the TM as nice as I can. So you can imagine how disappointing this is.

I'll call Progressive in the morning to see what the deal is. Has anyone else been thru this? Any pointers or info? Thanks
There is no way to properly repair hail damage on these roofs and the replacement of the roofs may well exceed the value of the camper. If that's the case, you may be better off excepting the insurance pay-out and live with it.

If there are no holes, you should have no leaking issues. Of course, you won't be able to insure the camper again but you should get enough of a settlement to replace the camper anyway.

When you sell it, you'll take a big hit but you'll still come out ahead due to the insurance pay-out.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Redhawk

Yeah, the loss of value is my main concern. Progressive is coming to take a look on Thursday. I'm definitly covering the solar panel with a piece of wood. It's a shame they don't make padded covers. Thanks for the comments...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You could cover the whole roof with wood for that matter. Get some thin plywood (maybe 1/4"), glue some sheets of thin foam or styrofoam insulation to it, and you'll have a nice sturdy hail shield that won't go anywhere in weather.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Yeah, the loss of value is my main concern. Progressive is coming to take a look on Thursday. I'm definitly covering the solar panel with a piece of wood. It's a shame they don't make padded covers. Thanks for the comments...
The loss in value should be your main concern. That's why you pay for insurance.

I have 3 suggestions.

1. Get an estimate from an authorized TM dealer.
2. Go to this website http://rvs.oodle.com/trailmanor/?s=pricerev ..... http://vehicles.oodle.com/trailmanor...ricerev&inbs=1 and print out some comparative values.
3. Don't let the adjuster tell you that they go by NADA values. That's a load of hogwash unless that is spelled out in your policy. They have to give you "Fair Market Value" if the trailer is totaled. If it is repairable, you have a legal right (in most states) to get it repaired at an authorized dealer. I wouldn't let another repair shop touch it.

I can smell a $20K pay-out from here......sell that trailer for......hmmmmmmmm!!!!....$12K-$15K......take your $32K and buy a new TM.

THEN.......Take Dave's "Last weeks advise"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
You could cover the whole roof with wood for that matter. Get some thin plywood (maybe 1/4"), glue some sheets of thin foam or styrofoam insulation to it, and you'll have a nice sturdy hail shield that won't go anywhere in weather.

Dave
That's last weeks advise Dave........

Besides.........what do you know about hail???? What we call "hail" in SoCal is what they call "Snow" in CO......What they call "Hail" we call a "rock slide"........
Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Redhawk

Well, got the estimate from Progressive. To replace the top(s), 2 Duravents, front and rear window covers plus the Addco cover.......$2200. Ridiculous!

I called the Car Show, their estimate with out even seeing it was approx $10,000. They said they would help me with the insurance claim, so I'll be over there next week. I'm not looking to make money on this, I really just want to try and get my loss of value. Which I know insurance companies don't really care about. The battle begins.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
RogerR

That number is really low. My old Jayco popup was in the hail and needed a new roof. Visited the dealer and he wrote an estimate. I had State Farm then and they paid the full estimate less my deductible.

Go with a TM dealers estimate and don't let them cheat you. If your roofs have hail damage then your loss of value is more than that, let alone the required repairs!

A last resort if you can't get a reasonable number is your state gov't insurance agency.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Well, got the estimate from Progressive. To replace the top(s), 2 Duravents, front and rear window covers plus the Addco cover.......$2200. Ridiculous!

I called the Car Show, their estimate with out even seeing it was approx $10,000. They said they would help me with the insurance claim, so I'll be over there next week. I'm not looking to make money on this, I really just want to try and get my loss of value. Which I know insurance companies don't really care about. The battle begins.
Do you have dents in the roofs?? Pics would be good.

If you have dents in the roofs, the only remedie (to my knowledge) is 2 new roofs. I doubt that you can get 2 new roofs installed for $10K. Maybe you can......but I doubt it.