TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
nightowlgk

Default 2-6v in box under couch w/ vent?

Looking to do a major battery upgrade, possibly converter/ charger, but leaving the future addition of solar possible.

2-T-105 Wet 6v batteries. Airtight from cabin.

Under couch opposite from the fresh water tank.

A sealed plastic box with one vent under and one out the side. Removable lid for maintenance.

What do you think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in Thousand Oaks, looking for a good installer/consultant.

Security concerns make me want to have them out of sight. The rear compartment (used by MLaub MOD) seems like a theft magnet, although they would be pretty heavy.

2002-2720
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Beak12

Is Custom RV in Anahiem to far from you?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Tampajohn

Default Golf Cart Batteries

Weight has been a big concern to me also. I actually put the batteries (2 golf cart) inside the TV on the passengers seat floor with an inverter. I don't think I need another 120 lbs. of tongue weight with the two propane tanks. I did disconnect and remove the battery in the TM and now run 110v from the inverter (1200W Harbor Freight) to the TM when needed. I do loose some effiency using the inverter. I use a 25 amp Batttery Charger to keep the batteries up or actually just plug them into the Cigarette lighter in the TV just to keep them topped up when the TV is running. Nothing elaborate, but works. Be sure to unplug when TV is not running. It will run down your TV battery. By eliminating 60 lbs from the rear of the TM, I was able to put a carrier in the back hooked up to the bicycle rack hitch (limit 100 lbs). Felt more confortable trying to keep the weight close to what it was when it left the factory. I use the carrier to just put chairs, mat, and items that are not heavy but bulky. Did this same process when we had our Aliner.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Unless you really want the extra weight go with a pair of 12 volt deep cycle.
We have a pair of Yocum 95aH that give almost as much power as the 105's.
They have been in use for the last two years, one actually 3 years without problems. Ours are mounted in the back which is lockable and a short run to the distribution panel. Our two 80 watt solar panels have more then kept up with our power usage. FWIW we feel having the 2 12volt gives us an advantage should we lose a cell on one the battery's. This is pretty unlikely but it does happen. A note on our usage, no microwave, no hair dryer and no TV so we don't require a large inverter. Lights have been replaced with LED's

For a converter upgrade take a look at Simlex especially if you go with the 105's. These are pricey but the only I see out there that will properly charge the 105's per Trojan's charge schedule.

If you haven't done so take a look at the threads that deal with solar and wiring upgrades done mostly for running the refeer on DC.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Weight has been a big concern to me also. I actually put the batteries (2 golf cart) inside the TV on the passengers seat floor with an inverter. I did disconnect and remove the battery in the TM

There is a serious problem with this setup and that is you have no power source for the brakes in a TV/TM separation. Not only is this a safety issue, but a violation of the law in most states. If you are ever stopped, this will most likely be caught. At a min, you should add a small 12V battery to the TM to power the brakes.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowlgk View Post
Air tight from cabin.

Under couch opposite from the fresh water tank.

A sealed plastic box with one vent under and one out the side. Removable lid for maintenance.
Basically what we have in our Elkmont. Works well..
But "one vent under" ? If you mean a drain, battery acids might better be contained in the box and occasionally wiped out. That`s what I do anyway. Carefully..
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Tampajohn

Default Rumbleweed your correct,

Rumbleweed you are correct, but I have also seen so many batteries destroyed by the converter overcharging the batteries in the TM as well as other trailers and driver not being protected by the breakaway switch. I also have been know to run the fridge on propane. I also do not drive over 60 mph (if at all possible), not making the other violations correct, but this is not a perfect world. How many times am I passed by speeders. I also drive a school bus and with the constant distraction from kids, it is a miracle we do not have more accidents. When we travel long distance, I will hook up a battery in the TM, but around here, I take my chances. Thanks for your input and concern. John

BTW we love our new to us TM.. A month ago we camped in an Aliner and the additional room is great.

Thanks so much for this forum, It has been a life saver with so many tips. I am so appreciative for all the input from the refrigerator mods to wheel well repairs. I also appreciate how TM made the trailer with all alum after 2003. I know the one we have would have been destroyed because of the leaks the previous owner neglected, but no damage was done. Fortunately, I am pretty handy and have it back into almost original condition except for going to Tennessee to pick up some parts when we head north.

Again thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
moaboy

I've never had the problem with overcharging, I'm sure it happens, but "many times" seems a bit of a stretch. My dealer mounted a switch near my battery box that I can use to control this and seems like a cheap and easy solution to a potential overcharge situation.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
When we travel long distance, I will hook up a battery in the TM, but around here, I take my chances. Thanks for your input and concern. John
Just an FYI, if your TM kills or seriously injures someone if it breaks away, there is a very good chance you will spend some time in prison. It just seems like an unnecessary risk to me.....just put a $60 car battery in there, and continue to use you existing batteries as you do now. Very cheap insurance, and not only might it keep you out of prison, it may just save someone's life. I've often heard that most accidents occur close to home......

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
nightowlgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
Is Custom RV in Anahiem to far from you?
I'm in Thousand Oaks.