TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
pbuck1

Default Question about carpet at slider threshold

I'm going to be changing out that stained carpet and the kitchen vinyl in my 2720SL starting tomorrow and I've been wondering what's the best thing to do at the slider threshold in front of the couch.
The present slider carpet ends at a metal hold-down strip at the slider edge and the black rubber seal is visible between there and the carpet on the main level. This looks pretty ugly IMHO.
I've noticed from photos that you can't see the black rubber seal on the newer models - the carpet appears to curl over the edge and hide it. and there's no metal strip visible either.
Can someone with a newer model with slide-out tell me how this is done? For instance:

Is there something else behind the carpet on the slider that keeps it curled over? or..
Is the carpet attached to the rubber seal somehow?
Is the carpet edge bound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
pbuck1

Well, the old carpet's out and I'll start putting the new one in a hour or so.

So, no-one with an '05 or 06 model with slide can give me a clue what TM does with the carpet at the edge of the slider these days??

I guess I'll improvise a solution.
Maybe I should have posted a couple of days ago.

Paul
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sorry, my TM is in storage across town. I'll have it out in a week - but it sounds like you will be done by then.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Tuscany Bandit

Sorry Paul, as you can see I keep the TM in the garage and the drive way is on a good incline. I would have to pull it out into the street and open it up...and won't be doing that for a couple of weeks.
Jerry
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
pbuck1

Ah, so it seems all the 2720SLs are folded and packed away.
Never mind, thanks anyway for the replies.

Paul
Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
pbuck1

Default carpet at slider edge and kitchen tile

The new tile and carpet are installed except I've just left a loose flap of carpet at the slider edge for now, until someone opens up their newer 05/06 model.

So, I'm still hoping somone can help me out in the next few days, specifically the following questions:

Is there still a rubber sealing strip at the slider edge under the carpet?
Does the flap of carpet which curls over the slider edge have a bound edge, or is it curled underneath the slider?
Where is the carpet flap attached at the slider edge e.g at the top of the edge, front of the edge, to a rubber seal underneath, or to the bottom (if curled under)??

The new tile looks good, but has not stuck down well I fear (I used self-stick vinyl tiles). I tried everything in the cleaning closet and the garage to get rid of the sticky film that was underneath the old vinyl including undiluted degreaser which someone had said worked for them in a previous post. What finally seemed to get rid of it was paint thinner (mineral spirits). I say "seemed" , because I still don't think the tiles are well stuck down - half a day alter and I can get a fingernail underneath and lift a corner in some spots. Is it that I didn't get the old goop up after all, or is it that the painted textured aluminum just isn't a good base, or is it that the humidity and coldish weather we've had here in Maryland lately has allowed the new adhesive to take. I know others have replaced the vinyl with self stick tiles with reported success, so any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
wwjam

We're hoping to have our 2006 2720SL in about a week. I can write back to you then if you still want to know.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
pbuck1

Thanks, wwjam for your offer, and texas camper for your advice.
I followed Leon's advice and found out by calling the factory. They curl the carpet around the edge and attach to the bottom of the slider and they now use one of the regular white plastic covered seals underneath (and out of sight) instead of the black rubber seal.

Ed also gave me some advice on replacing the vinyl tile which I'll put on a separate thread.

Paul
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Aha! I finally got my '06 2720SL out of storage and set up, and in response to your question, I peeked under the slider floor. Yes, the carpet is wrapped around the edge and attached (somehow) to the underside of the slider floor. It actually looks pretty good. And yes, there is no longer a black seal under the slider floor. But horrors! In mine, there is not a white seal, either - just daylight!

Since I will have my TM at the factory in about 10 days for some warranty repairs, I will be sure they address this problem. So your info is timely for me, Paul. Thanks.

BTW, I also noted that there is a third wheel under the center of the slider floor, to support it. That was not true in my '02 2720SL, and the floor sagged until I put in a third wheel myself. Good to see that the factory picked up this mod.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote